color tab in object pop

Started by TheBadger, November 19, 2014, 04:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hey

What is a smart easy way to use the "tint defuse color" parameter?
If I want to add browns to what is a very green plant, whats the best way to do this?

Thanks.
It has been eaten.

Matt

If you want to tint everything uniformly, you can use a Constant Colour node (it's one of the function nodes). But usually I would use a Power Fractal to add some variation.

The tint acts as a multiplier, and it multiplies the red, green and blue components separately. If the tint colour is white (1,1,1) then the tint has no effect. Values less than 1 tint the colour darker. To turn greens into browns you want to multiply by a reddish colour, because that will have a fairly high R value (so it doesn't darken the R component very much), and a fairly low G value to filter out much of the green.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

yossam

Badger,

Been following the thread............I came up with this.

The plants are Wallis' Ornamental Grass 2. On the left side is "straight out of the box", the right side has a PF added to the tint diffuse color box under the color tab. It has a multiplier of 3. You can adjust the scales of the PF if you want to achieve the "look". Now the color of the PF is a very pale peach (3 clicks of the add red button to white).

That's all folks............. ;D

TheBadger

Looks good Yossam. Thank you for taking the time.

PS
I am very glad for the addition of this tab in the node. It is clearly way better than what we had to do when I first got TG2. And now I know how to make use of it  ;D
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Hey guys, I got this working and now understand all there is to it, including this way and the old way of doing things (thanks Yossam!)
But I have one last problem

I cant get my noise (PF) small enough to fit on the leaves. I m using the old way of doing thing right now; applying a PF to the color function of the internal shader)

So what I want is my new brown color to not change every leaf totally brown, but to happen blotches and such. As I said I made the noise the way I want it, but it is to big.

here is the PF:
Quote<terragen_clip>
   <power_fractal_shader_v3
      name = "Power fractal shader v3 01_1"
      gui_use_node_pos = "1"
      gui_node_pos = "-240 40 0"
      gui_group = ""
      enable = "1"
      input_node = "Base colours"
      gui_use_preview_patch_size = "0"
      gui_preview_patch_size = "1000 1000"
      seed = "37793"
      feature_scale = "0.005"
      lead-in_scale = "100"
      smallest_scale = "0.001"
      noise_octaves = "19"
      noise_stretch_XYZ = "2 2 2"
      apply_high_colour = "1"
      high_colour = "1 0.5978000164 0.5978000164"
      apply_low_colour = "0"
      low_colour = "0 0 0"
      colour_contrast = "0.5"
      colour_offset = "-0.375"
      colour_roughness = "4"
      clamp_high_colour = "1"
      clamp_low_colour = "1"
      apply_displacement = "0"
      displacement_direction = "1"
      displacement_amplitude = "1"
      displacement_offset = "0"
      displacement_roughness = "1"
      displacement_spike_limit = "1"
      continue_spike_limit = "0"
      adjust_coastline = "0"
      coastline_altitude = "0"
      coastline_smoothing = "30"
      noise_flavour = "6"
      ridge_smoothing = "0.1"
      gully_smoothing = "0.1"
      noise_variation = "1"
      variation_method = "2"
      buoyancy_from_variation = "0.25"
      clumping_of_variation = "0.25"
      distort_by_normal = "1"
      distortion_by_normal = "7.4375"
      lead-in_warp_effect = "0"
      lead-in_warp_amount = "0.925"
      less_warp_at_feature_scale = "0"
      allow_vertical_warp = "0"
      four-d_noise = "0"
      four-d_noise_speed = "0.1"
      reference_frame_number = "0"
      blend_by_shader = "0"
      blending_shader = ""
      fit_blendshader_to_this = "0"
      invert_blendshader = "0"
      >
   </power_fractal_shader_v3>
</terragen_clip>

Again, I am trying to make the noise small enough so that it fits on a leaf, where some of the orgnial green color remains, in other words, not totally altered every where.
Scale lead in and such. I can seem to get it smaller. ???

THis node is based off of one of Inky's.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Your lead-in scale is 100m, so if you reduce that to 0.01 you have blotches of max 1cm. You can also mask this PF by another coarser one to get splotches not everywhere. And you can use the method I still always use (in fact I make my objects with those settings included); feed through transform shader (world) inside the object and added to the leaves' parts only.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 10, 2015, 03:49:45 AM
Your lead-in scale is 100m, so if you reduce that to 0.01 you have blotches of max 1cm. You can also mask this PF by another coarser one to get splotches not everywhere. And you can use the method I still always use (in fact I make my objects with those settings included); feed through transform shader (world) inside the object and added to the leaves' parts only.

I'd use Ulco's method myself; well I have done and still will going forward to be precise.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

fleetwood

Tinting all the parts of the object may be fast on grass or distant objects, but if you want to control bark or stem versus leaf or flower, for example, the older variation per part has the needed flexibility.

bobbystahr

Quote from: fleetwood on March 10, 2015, 12:20:01 PM
Tinting the all the parts of the object may be fast on grass or distant objects, but if you want to control bark or stem versus leaf or flower, for example, the older variation per part has the needed flexibility.

Quite true.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

Thanks Ulco. That helped.
Also, I bought your cattails a while ago, so I went in a looked at the internal nodes, so I understand what you are saying now.

It has been eaten.