Terragen contest...

Started by archonforest, December 05, 2014, 01:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

I have a feeling that we should have a TG only contest since we use mainly TG no?
Looking the NWDA contest I have a disagreement that people who has the possibility
to use WM can create terrains that TG cannot....sorry not that good. Talking about erosion and stuff.

Why we do not have a "TG only and no fancy postwork contest"? Like do all u can but use only TG for it...

I am not against NWDA at all or try to be negative here just wondering...  ::)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Upon Infinity

I see your point, but isn't that still technically Terragen?  I mean, should nothing be imported from other sources?  Vegetation?  Image maps?  DEM's?   

P.S. don't listen to me, I'm not even in the contest.   :P

archonforest

Quote from: Upon Infinity on December 05, 2014, 02:36:23 PM
I see your point, but isn't that still technically Terragen?  I mean, should nothing be imported from other sources?  Vegetation?  Image maps?  DEM's?   

P.S. don't listen to me, I'm not even in the contest.   :P

Well me neither(as my renders are not that good) but just wondering why we do not have a pure TG contest?

Upon Infinity

That would be interesting.  But again, that would mean no veg, maps, etc. either. 

archonforest

Quote from: Upon Infinity on December 05, 2014, 03:30:12 PM
That would be interesting.  But again, that would mean no veg, maps, etc. either.

I would say veggies are fine but all the rest must be TG.... 

Upon Infinity

I could go for that.  Why not start one?

Hannes

I think if there was a pure TG contest, then it should be just opening TG and not importing anything. No plants, no textures, no terrains. Nothing but what you have, when you fire up the program. Using plants is the same like using terrains made with other programs. Just my two cents... (or is it five?...)

archonforest

Quote from: Hannes on December 05, 2014, 04:06:07 PM
I think if there was a pure TG contest, then it should be just opening TG and not importing anything. No plants, no textures, no terrains. Nothing but what you have, when you fire up the program. Using plants is the same like using terrains made with other programs. Just my two cents... (or is it five?...)
I think in a contest like this people cannot win 'coz a better quality tree or something. The overall best picture could win...like the composition and overall look...etc.

Actually I am thinking something like this since a while. Like do a beach scene for example and the best one wins and shares his technique with the rest so all can learn out of it. This can be a game and help many users to get better...

otakar

I like the suggestion. No external nothing. You can still have objects but they have to be of the internal type :) As with most contests though, you will have issues getting enough participation. Over at terragen.org we've had monthly contests with a different theme each month, but it ran out as people stopped participating.

bobbystahr

I guess you'd like a Terragen2-3 doing Terragen Classic Contest as that's what Terragen was before modern Terragen.....no imports, nothing but internals with the exception of .bmp image maps.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Upon Infinity

Well, I think Archon is attempting to limit anyone having an advantage to having access to 3rd party software.  So we could limit it to objects that can be gotten for free, like at Terragen.org or the free Xfrog plants that are available.

archonforest

Quote from: Upon Infinity on December 10, 2014, 11:54:05 AM
Well, I think Archon is attempting to limit anyone having an advantage to having access to 3rd party software.  So we could limit it to objects that can be gotten for free, like at Terragen.org or the free Xfrog plants that are available.
Exactly that was in my mind...

...actually later I realized that NWDA is not only for TG therefore their contest is open for other applications also.

ps: I did not started this topic to campaign against NWDA. I like their contest and the shop...etc :D

bobbystahr

I see...as a user of free TG3 I sorta understand; but a really as Mike Halverson from Imagine3D fame (creator) use to say{my paraphrase}
a great image looks good no matter how few hammers you hit it with and a whole tool shop won't fix a crappy one
so I bash on
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

For example I really can't imagine TGers like Ulco, Luc Bianco, Frank B, being anything but awesome even with just a free version.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Upon Infinity

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 10, 2014, 05:28:40 PM
For example I really can't imagine TGers like Ulco, Luc Bianco, Frank B, being anything but awesome even with just a free version.

Yes, but that's an advantage of skill, rather than 3rd party software knowledge or access.  Personally, I was thinking we should have a thread, not necessarily a contest, but a thread to see what everyone can do with the TG3 default scene.