Functions forum

Started by BPauba, July 29, 2007, 05:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

mr-miley

Well if Harvey and Volker are against it then I retract my affermative statement above... I would like the forum members to know that I am now against the idea  ;D
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

mr-miley

although.... actually, I think its a really good idea  ;D

Harvey Birdman

waffle waffle waffle waffle

;D

rcallicotte

Thanks.  I've already had breakfast.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

mr-miley

Right... Stop this, it's far to silly  >:(

Mind you, if you have any maple syrup for theose waffles Harvey....

DeathTwister

Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

choronr

I think I'll take my pigments, pallet, brushes and linseed oil and go home.

Buzzzzz

You could call it "Function Junction" .  ;D It may be really helpful to some but I don't really use functions because I can pretty much get the effects I use most often use as in (Southwestern US scenes) from surface, distribution, Image map, fractal noise and displacement  Shaders. But that's just my preference plus all I know is: 0+0=0 I think? I suppose I could find a use for them at some point? In the end I guess it's really up to Planetside.

moodflow

Yea, learning how to use those higher end functions is like learning a new language!  I just don't know where to start.  Many thanks to the pioneers who've ventured out and found out how they work.  I've tried a few things myself, but no luck.  Ohh, and I am talking the mathematical functions here.

Honestly, at this point, I don't see myself using them past a few levels, as what they've been show to generate so far is 'structured' stuff.  This is amazing in its own right, but they don't tend to have that random fractal look that noise can create, which is more my style.  Of course I am not writing off the idea of a 'structured' death-star like planetary surface (which would be amazing - any takers)!?   8)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

Moodflow, I'm wondering about the 'structured idea' with functions, since some of the functions allow randomization and inclusion of noise.  It could be the functions are endless. 

moodflow

Quote from: calico on July 30, 2007, 12:56:29 PM
Moodflow, I'm wondering about the 'structured idea' with functions, since some of the functions allow randomization and inclusion of noise.  It could be the functions are endless. 

Ya, I am definitely not discounting them... I think they would be great for doing currently unknown things, especially mixed in with currently known things. 

What I was really trying to say in my last post was - I have no clue on how to use them yet  ;D  I should just face the truth...  heheh
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

Yes.  I understand.  I understand the little bit that has been done here with canyons and the voronoi, but little more than that.  It would be excellent to have a resource page for this kind of mathematics that allowed us to step up to TG2 functionality...is what I mean.   :P

Quote from: moodflow on July 30, 2007, 01:06:00 PM
What I was really trying to say in my last post was - I have no clue on how to use them yet  ;D  I should just face the truth...  heheh

BPauba

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 30, 2007, 06:06:25 AM
Maybe it's also a good idea to subdivide the "Terragen 2 Discussion" section further. For example into sections like "clouds/atmo". "terrain displacements", "Functions", "Rendering", etc. etc. The main Terragen 2 Discussion section contains loads of topics and it's sometimes hard to find your specific info in the jungle of topics. I think to make it more clarifying further subdivision could aid in this.
How do you guys feel about this?

This is just in addition to the idea for a functions forum. So yes I agree  ;D

I agree with that, but at a later date. Right now the community is young and if we cut up the forums to much then we will be really hurting the community. Why I suggest the functions is it is so specialized, but yet so general. Functions can be used in any part of Terragen, but yet they have a nearly endless list of possibilities. By stratifying functions from the general discussion we will be getting rid of all the mathematical jargon from the general forum while grouping together all of it into another forum. I really think it would be a good idea and act as a catalyst to the learning of not only functions but Terragen as a whole...

Lucio