Functions forum

Started by BPauba, July 29, 2007, 05:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPauba

So any opinions from the staff? It seems like a good majority of the community is for it!

Oshyan

It's a worthwhile idea and it is under consideration. I'll post an update when we make a decision.

- Oshyan

BPauba

Good stuff, thanks for considering it!

Oshyan

After examining the actual number of function-related threads here it seems like there's really not enough traffic with that specific subject to justify a separate area at this point. It is easy enough to ignore function-related threads here, and not difficult to find them should you be particularly interested.

Furthermore it may be difficult to differentiate a function-related thread from a "normal" one in many cases as the functions are not necessarily separate from the other nodes and they in fact work only in combination with them. This would be an issue both for the original poster and for the moderators. Threads also often drift off their original topics, which could cause further confusion. I'm sure everyone would agree that creating a distinction and then not actually seeing it realized in people's posting habits would not be advantageous as people would look in the expected place for function information but not find all of it.

We can consider adding a custom message icon for functions (see the top of the Post form), or people can use a prefix such as [Functions] on their posts if they desire, but ultimately further fragmentation of the forum at this time doesn't seem like the best solution. We will continue to monitor the amount of function-related discussion and will reconsider this in the future if it becomes needed.

- Oshyan

bigben

Is there any way to tag posts? Only had a very quick look at the SMF site... but if it's possible, or someone has written a mod for it then it might be useful.

Oshyan

There are some tag mods available, for example http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=579 but the question then is who does the tagging? ;) If we can trust users to remember (or know in the first place) to mark their own messages then a simple custom "Message Icon" would suffice (see top of the post editor under Subject - these show up next to message subjects in the board message list). I'm glad to work on something like that if it seems helpful. I don't think you can search or sort on the message icon types though so it might be less useful than tagging...

- Oshyan

ProjectX

I think just an icon so we can spot it quickly when we're trawling through the threads will do. Well, at least for me anyway. Thanks for considering it!

BPauba

Well, I must admit that I am a bit disappointed in the decision, but it is warranted so I cant be too sad! I like the idea of an icon because when people tag everyone seems to have their own tagging style. I like the idea of every functional thread being labeled with an icon, it will create similarity :D.

rcallicotte

I like the icon labeling idea, too.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Ok, I'll work on creating a message icon for it. But everyone will have to remember to use it, and threads with mixed content, or whose subject was not Functions to begin with will never be marked properly. In other words don't rely on the label as a definitive indication of the content of a thread.

- Oshyan

Oshyan

"Functions" and "Nodes" are different (functions being a subset of nodes). A "nodes" area might be more likely to get significant traffic...

- Oshyan

BPauba

Quote from: Oshyan on August 02, 2007, 03:27:02 PM
"Functions" and "Nodes" are different (functions being a subset of nodes). A "nodes" area might be more likely to get significant traffic...

- Oshyan

I personally would not mind that. Actually I am sure it would be better then a functions forum.

Oshyan

Something more like a "Node Network" forum then? I'll discuss that idea and see what we come up with.

- Oshyan

BPauba

Quote from: Oshyan on August 02, 2007, 03:43:34 PM
Something more like a "Node Network" forum then? I'll discuss that idea and see what we come up with.

- Oshyan

Yes, that would really simplify things as well, it wouldnt be hard to figure out if a certain topic "should" be in the node forum. I am thinking that will be even more beneficial...

Volker Harun

Which topic would not go into the node-forum? ??? This one!