Functions forum

Started by BPauba, July 29, 2007, 05:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPauba

Quote from: Volker Harun on August 02, 2007, 04:02:33 PM
Which topic would not go into the node-forum? ??? This one!

Well I think the description of the forum would be working IN the node network not just in one node...

ProjectX

Quote from: Oshyan on August 02, 2007, 03:43:34 PM
Something more like a "Node Network" forum then? I'll discuss that idea and see what we come up with.

- Oshyan

I think that's what we all had in mind really, or at least, it's what I had in mind.

Oshyan

It's important to be clear that the "function nodes" are specific types of nodes, generally basic/fundamental mathematical operators that need to be connected together to do more sophisticated things. The function nodes are blue in the node network, differentiating them from other nodes. So that is what we presumed was being referred to and why it seemed like too narrow a focus.

We'll consider a dedicated "node network" discussion area for the future. For now we'd like to see how discussions in that area evolve and grow in the single existing discussion forum.

- Oshyan

zionner

Sorry if this is a bit..Off Topic..but what do you use the math functions for?

bigben

I can certainly understand Oshyan's concerns.. and yes tagging is only as good as the tags people put on their posts, whether it's multiple tags or an icon.

e.g. you expect posts with files in the file sharing section.... you post a file of an interesting terrain that is made up largely of functions but you also throw in some interesting surfaces and lighting.  You could have a forum on each but then you'd be cross posting or navigating through numerous forums.

ProjectX

Quote from: bigben on August 02, 2007, 07:18:38 PM
I can certainly understand Oshyan's concerns.. and yes tagging is only as good as the tags people put on their posts, whether it's multiple tags or an icon.

e.g. you expect posts with files in the file sharing section.... you post a file of an interesting terrain that is made up largely of functions but you also throw in some interesting surfaces and lighting.  You could have a forum on each but then you'd be cross posting or navigating through numerous forums.

Ideally, the node forum would contain threads detailing how and why certain nodes were used in creating an interesting effect, as well as offering help to those who are stuck with trying to create an effect, all the while being easily visible for those that wan't to learn more about nodes and expand the variety of techniques they have available to them. The actual file would be posted in the file sharing area, and the any resulting images in image-sharing. Hm... cross-linking threads would be really useful here, but I'm not sure i've ever seen it done in a forum so I doubt it's possible, or at least easy.