Edit pops and lines issue

Started by choronr, December 25, 2014, 11:43:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

I've mentioned this before. While editing populations, one cannot delete instances of .tgo or .obj models from a project when the lines of SSS and other things are in the way. We do need a button where when we click it, all the lines are temporarily gone such that we can continue to edit the populations. Is this possible?

Oshyan

Yes, we do need a way to hide certain shaders bounding boxes/control handles. Many other nodes respond to the "Turn all preview bounding boxes off" function, or other hiding options, but if you Hide Objects in the 3D preview of course you can't edit instances. So it does need some improvement. I'll make sure a bug is filed for that.

- Oshyan

choronr

Thanks Oshyan. I'm not concerned with the bounding boxes of objects, but rather everything else - like SSS and others. When editing instances, one just cannot edit objects near the lines unless you disable them. Then, it becomes complicated.

Oshyan

Well, if you try it, you'll see that setting "hide objects" also hides the SSS lines. ;) That's what I meant.

- Oshyan

Dune

Echo this. There should be an option in the SSS node to turn the lines off, like in the lake object.

jo

Hi Bob,

What version of TG are you using? The population editing behaviour changed in 3.1.02.0 and you can only select population instances while in population editing mode so other nodes shouldn't be an issue.

Can you please explain more about the problems you're having? Is it possible to record a video showing the problem? That would be a big help.

Regards,

Jo

choronr

Quote from: jo on December 30, 2014, 05:40:52 pm
Hi Bob,

What version of TG are you using? The population editing behaviour changed in 3.1.02.0 and you can only select population instances while in population editing mode so other nodes shouldn't be an issue.

Can you please explain more about the problems you're having? Is it possible to record a video showing the problem? That would be a big help.

Regards,

Jo


Hi Jo,

I'm using version 3.2.03.0 . Certain instances of populated objects will not respond to editing; such as deleting. As I select an object (a bounding box) that is too close to a line created by an SSS, water or other source, the deletion edit will not work.

I can't create a video for you but, could attach my file if you wish.

Bob

Oshyan

Bob, are you able to *select* the instance but then trying to delete it fails? OR, are you *unable to even select it* due to the overlapping SSS?

- Oshyan

jo

December 30, 2014, 07:02:30 pm #8 Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:05:59 pm by Oshyan
Hi Bob,

I think I've narrowed down the problem you might be having. Does it sound something like this?:

You're editing a population. Say you have an instance whose bounding box crosses over the selection handle for another node. When you mouse over the object the instance bounding box will highlight but when you move across the other selection handle the bounding box highlight will remove. As you move further, away from the other node's selection handle, the highlight will come back. All this is while the mouse is within the instance bounding box.

Is that similar to your problem?

Regards,

Jo

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on December 30, 2014, 06:42:05 pm
Bob, are you able to *select* the instance but then trying to delete it fails? OR, are you *unable to even select it* due to the overlapping SSS?

- Oshyan


*unable to even select it* due to the overlapping SSS; and, any other lines created by water and etc.

Oshyan

Ok, thanks for that info. Take a look at Jo's post above and see if it describes what you're dealing with.

Also, remember that you *can* turn off Lake objects in the 3D preview (disable "Handle in preview" in the Lake object settings).

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: jo on December 30, 2014, 07:02:30 pm
Hi Bob,

I think I've narrowed down the problem you might be having. Does it sound something like this?:

You're editing a population. Say you have an instance whose bounding box crosses over the selection handle for another node. When you mouse over the object the instance bounding box will highlight but when you move across the other selection handle the bounding box highlight will remove. As you move further, away from the other node's selection handle, the highlight will come back. All this is while the mouse is within the instance bounding box.

Is that similar to your problem?

Regards,

Jo

When I mouse-over, the bounding box will not highlight even if the bounding box does not cross over the line(s) but is near it. Again, its not only the lies of an SSS; but also, water lines, lines set by the a and b of a population, and etc.

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on December 30, 2014, 07:36:52 pm
Ok, thanks for that info. Take a look at Jo's post above and see if it describes what you're dealing with.

Also, remember that you *can* turn off Lake objects in the 3D preview (disable "Handle in preview" in the Lake object settings).

- Oshyan

Yes, I understand about turning off these lines individually, but in some cases (one example) where SSS is concerned, it becomes an issue for obvious reasons.

Dune

One thing is that they won't highlight occasionally when you're too close. Then hit the [ button.

choronr

Quote from: Dune on December 31, 2014, 02:57:54 am
One thing is that they won't highlight occasionally when you're too close. Then hit the [ button.

Now that is clever; thank you.