Stained Glass Nailed It

Started by bobbystahr, December 26, 2014, 12:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on December 27, 2014, 11:54:00 AM
Do you have the spitfire model from Bazze (colacola)?
If not you could download it and I'll send you a tgo for
the propspin so you could see how to do it.

Thanks Jochen, I did that just now...I'd appreciate the .tgo for tutorial purposes and maybe even another render with a war plane...I tend to like pleasure/racing airplanes personally as air cadets told me I'd never be a pilot with my eyes and I went off the forces and military craft and started my life as a musician.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Total rookie mistake....I needed to load the prop blur separately, Doh.....aum daze eh? plus the blur and colour maps from the spitfire are way superior to the one rhat came with the comet....thanks again you guys....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

So...upon reloading the deco window for some reason it wouldn't behave, ticked me off and decided to do it with a cube and import the frame; so I did. That was an adventure in scaling and mapping. Wound up going Planar Y and made the glass 41.1x.1x100, the image being 411x1000.
Then I built a complete new texture network and now it looks as good with light from behind as it does with direct surface light. One advantage of using the Cube is I was able to displace the glass' bump from the GrayScale. Also found by accident it works fine with Cast Shadows Enabled.
If anyone wants the Cube window w Frame I have it saved as a .tgc as the Cube don't go .tgo....I'll add all the maps as well as I made some new ones.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Nice, Bobby. You wouldn't see any shadows here, as it's backlit and the shadows are in the shadow of the ball. So what does do shadows, the colors of the stained glass or is it an all dark shadow (if seen)? Haven't played with glass much yet.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 04, 2015, 02:35:00 AM
Nice, Bobby. You wouldn't see any shadows here, as it's backlit and the shadows are in the shadow of the ball. So what does do shadows, the colors of the stained glass or is it an all dark shadow (if seen)? Haven't played with glass much yet.

It didn't seem to make any difference...I'll render one from the back and see
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

D'oh...that's not Glass, that's Water....Glass works better for sure as this graphic shows. Discovered my error harvesting a screen grab of my new network....sigh...at least I caught it....Something else I wanted to mention but buggered if I can remember...oh yeay, plugging the colour map into the luminosity channel was the game breaker....glad I finally got that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

Cool experimenting Bobby.
Cast shadows enabled/disabled for what exactly?
In the front lit comparison pic I can't see a shadow behind
or at the side either.Might be me,though.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on January 04, 2015, 10:57:37 AM
Cool experimenting Bobby.
Cast shadows enabled/disabled for what exactly?
In the front lit comparison pic I can't see a shadow behind
or at the side either.Might be me,though.

That's it Jochen, I found that when lit from the front you got great colour etc. in the glass so was trying to get that similar quality from front and rear light. In the first 4, I was for some reason using the Water Shader, think I had it in for comparison and forgot to put the Glass shader back in; so the last 2 are really the test but it's interesting to see them all together in a strip like that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New