Any ideas on doing this

Started by bobbystahr, January 18, 2015, 10:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

I have the hovercraft but need a wake, any hints...I have a few ideas but I like to go fishing.

http://s173955726.onlinehome.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/hovercraft.jpg
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

Whats the difference between a wake and two waves in two directions? Or are you talking about the spray coming up?

For the wake I remember that yossam did a Navy Armada. I thought he posted some files from it? Maybe not I am not sure. I guess the spray would be even harder though? Not much help I know.
It has been eaten.

yossam

You could use a localized cloud for the spray.............just sayin'.  ;D

bobbystahr

Quote from: yossam on January 18, 2015, 10:30:54 PM
You could use a localized cloud for the spray.............just sayin'.  ;D

that is my first choice with a SS shader mask for the edge fall off, an elongated elipse

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

choronr

mhaze did a scene with crashing waves against rock with beautiful splash using SSS and localized clouds. I believe he shared the file.

bobbystahr

O K, road block. I've been testing with both(not at the same time)a Painted shader and a Simple Shape shader.
They both give me this[attachimg=1]

and this is the network
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

What you can also do is make a vertical croprender of the craft, so you have its outline, then use that in Photoshop or whatever to draw a wake and spray area, with a harder edge at front, softer at end, etc. Use that for masking cloud and wake.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 19, 2015, 02:42:21 AM
What you can also do is make a vertical croprender of the craft, so you have its outline, then use that in Photoshop or whatever to draw a wake and spray area, with a harder edge at front, softer at end, etc. Use that for masking cloud and wake.

Will that work ? A SS shader and a Painted shader, which in turn have worked for any masking job i tried in the past, simply won't mask the freakin cloud and it's driving me mad.The mask itself isn't the problem as I'm a dab hand at creating those. Do you think it would make a difference as a image map mask? as I haven't tried that one method.
I'll post the .tgd if anyone thinks they can help.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

I don't understand why an SSS and painted shader won't mask a cloud; they should! You can use the mask input of the fractal or the final density. Painted shader should be set to Y I presume, I guess it'll act as a column then, masking everything from - to + infinity  ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 19, 2015, 12:02:26 PM
I don't understand why an SSS and painted shader won't mask a cloud; they should! You can use the mask input of the fractal or the final density. Painted shader should be set to Y I presume, I guess it'll act as a column then, masking everything from - to + infinity  ;)

That's been my experience throughout the past usages but I'm pulling my hair out. I put it on the shelf last night and am playing with glass in lamps but if you want I'll pack it up sans objects and tex maps and post it. I'd appreciate your input.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

What the heck, here's the naked .tgd....good luck.
The paint shader when used as a mask in a Surface layer into the lake makes an acceptable wake so the shader ain't the problem. Must be some dumb thing I don't know I'm doing.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

3 words...Final Density Modulator....thanks for that hint Ulco, I would have never thought of that. I can only see a bit of the wake ends but it looks good so far.the story so far:
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

But I'd still like to know why the other 2 methods failed me....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

To be honest; it puzzles me as well. Why doesn't the painted shader mask a cloud? It does a tiny bit, but maybe the area that's not painted isn't completely black. Though a color adjust doesn't help either. Strange.
By the way, you won't need the distri shader.