Dutch medieval scene

Started by Dune, April 13, 2015, 03:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

The clarity of this image of this image really stands out nicely. The boats are very good.

bobbystahr

Nice boat yard Ulco...and you've nailed texturing all right..I find the hard part with boats is to get the shiplap to tile correctly but have found PoseRay quite useful with the Cubic flavour of U/V mapping they have. A lot depends on how the model was built I've found.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Better wake here. When rendering bigger, there's lots of issues obvious in both terrain and models. But it takes time to build these models, so I perhaps consider them good enough for my means too soon. But I can always come back to them later, if it's needed for more detailed stuff (adding stuff like rings on the sails, better tackle and pulleys, cargo, boatmen). Just too much to do in too little time  ::) And I didn't expand the pops to cover the right area, so it's far from perfect. Enjoy anyway.

DocCharly65

Thats so beautiful!

Always when you say "far from perfect"  you have already produced a piece of art.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 08, 2015, 03:01:16 AM
Better wake here. When rendering bigger, there's lots of issues obvious in both terrain and models. But it takes time to build these models, so I perhaps consider them good enough for my means too soon. But I can always come back to them later, if it's needed for more detailed stuff (adding stuff like rings on the sails, better tackle and pulleys, cargo, boatmen). Just too much to do in too little time  ::) And I didn't expand the pops to cover the right area, so it's far from perfect. Enjoy anyway.

O K, I gotta ask..In these last few images there's a 1/2 boat hull sitting like an out house on the shore. What' the story with that? Nice one btw, and agree with DocCharly
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Try a search for paintings by Avercamp and you'll notice that they used old boats to make shelters in 15th century. Shelters for fishing perhaps, don't know really.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 08, 2015, 10:10:38 AM
Try a search for paintings by Avercamp and you'll notice that they used old boats to make shelters in 15th century. Shelters for fishing perhaps, don't know really.

Cool, I'll do that and you are likely correct on their usage...a good use for a dead boat.

Oooh cool stuff! Ice fishing seems as big in Holland as Winnipeg. We get mainly Pickerel...not complaining...great white fresh water fish.
Hee hee hee, they use barrels as well...gave me a chuckle that did.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

mhaze

Great Stuff. I love these pastoral scenes.  I hope you get time to finish the details.

choronr

Your refinements are evident as they make the scene very much better.

j meyer

To me the boats seem to be too long to have single piece planks.
And cuts are easy,even with uv-ed model parts.No extra work.

bobbystahr

And I figured out what was bugging me...why does the near boat have the tiller on the prow...seems to be ...backing up?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Thanks Jochen, I'll try that. You're right of course.
And tiller on prow? It's on the back end of the ship, just like in the left ship.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 09, 2015, 02:37:41 AM

And tiller on prow? It's on the back end of the ship, just like in the left ship.

O K, must be an optional delusion on my part, to me the 'front' end appears square and  it must be the camera angle that doesn't reveal the prow point to me....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

otakar

Extraordinary. You sure worked your magic on the water. It's got to be nice to be able to pose and texture your own characters.