WIP

Started by TheBadger, June 21, 2015, 11:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hey,
Working on a new environment.
Some early test renders here. I have some little technical issues to fix before I can start detailing and bringing it to life, but I thought it may be fun to post the WIPs in case the final turns out well. I think it is going to turn out pretty well though, the problems I am having are easily fixed, and everything else I want is already in the forum in one form or another.

The Base terrain:
[attach=1]
Yes I have posted this pic in other places in the forum. But I thought I should have it here since the final will go here too.

Here is a early rest render of the main area of the scene. I intended first for this to be a desolate volcanic scene with a river of lava. But some things got changed by accident, and I ended up pursuing a tropical desert look... Sandstone base probably, and lots of water. Maybe some kind of desert delta created by mountain runoff or something. In this wip there is lots of seasonal flooding :D
[attach=2]

Here is a close up, also posted in one of my question threads. Here you see the scale of everything along the river. IN the image above you can also see the white figure in the Upper center of the image. I think it helps a lot to get the scale while working on the fundamental parts of the terrain.
YOu can also get a pretty good sense of the sand here I think, or what will be sand when I am done.
[attach=3]

Fooding and natural weathering are important to me for this scene. I want to spend a good amount of time on finer details VS macro features
This is what it looks like the further away you get from the main water channel... Same scale as with the human figure.
Here you can see one of the issues I ma having from the twist and shear. It looks great in some places but is a mess in others... I'll maybe use a mask to keep the T&S to only the places it works as I intended, so nearer the river. For some reason the effect gets too extreme away from the river (the image above shows it working more like I wanted).
[attach=4]
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Here again you can see how T&S is doing both good and bad things.
Also you can see the west cliffs that block in the west side of the river valley:
[attach=1]
At some point I will likely use Kadri's foot prints in the sand!
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Looks interesting.Is it for the same project Michael?

TheBadger

No. Sometimes what I do is take several attempts at a project and bake them down into 1 new project that actually works. This one is working so far. So I will try to use the foot print stuff in this project.

I am rendering a 2000pix wide image now. That should give a better idea of what things I need to fix before I get down to foot print detail level. I can already see some macro issues I want to work on in the render. But in at least 2 of the tests above I can see how foot prints in the sand would be very appropriate.
I also want to try using a billboard at the end. I would like to have people playing in the water like it is a national park or something.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Nice Michael.
Extreme displacements are really bad sometimes.
I had lately an image that looked kinda good in the preview and small renders but at full quality it had so much problematic parts.
When i tried to fix them the image changed too much.I gave up.Not all images work out unfortunately. For me at least :)

TheBadger

Here is the 2000px wide render. Lots I like and a bunch of things I don't. I need to get this in order before I work on the finer points.
[attach=1]

Where there is lots of empty space, I think I will add more braided river.

QuoteWhen i tried to fix them the image changed too much.I gave up.Not all images work out unfortunately.
For me too.
But, I save them. I hold out hope for vector map output from TG, which for me would make fixing a scene much better.
It has been eaten.

N-drju

Interesting. Might be a good idea for a swampy area right before the river hits the sea. I don't like the fourth image though. Stones look as if they were awkwardly wrapped in something...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Good to see you posting IMAGES, Michael! Great.
Why use T&S, why not normal displacement after a compute normal? Or with a combi of VDisp by PF?

mhaze

Very interesting to see your thought processes.  I find with T&S smaller settings work better along with PFs and redirects.

TheBadger

Thanks. I am picking away at this when the mood hits me.
It has been eaten.