Cloud Column

Started by WAS, June 30, 2015, 04:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Why is it when you localize clouds it creates a sphere rather then a column even if you set the depth to something like 100000?

I remember there was a topic about a "Smoke/Cloud Column" but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Tangled-Universe

That likely has to do with the falloff setting in the localized cloud part of the cloud node.
Perhaps also "taper top and base" may have to do with it. May be even both.
Those 2 are the first I'd check out from the top of my head.
To see how these settings affect the result it's a bit easier to set cloud density to 0.1 or greater.

Cheers,
Martin

P.S. Would you mind me saying your signature is slightly annoying? :)

WAS

I've adjust falloff, it just makes it a hard ball, or cloud ball. Base/top wispyness are at 0.

Like I've told others, be as annoyed as you let it. I don't care. No rules against it here and a expression of my "Signature" through art (main goal of this website) Would be the same if I actually had a my signature there.

Kadri

Quote from: WASasquatch on June 30, 2015, 11:11:07 AM
Like I've told others, be as annoyed as you let it. I don't care. No rules against it here and a expression of my "Signature" through art (main goal of this website) Would be the same if I actually had a my signature there.

;D
Yes i am teasing.
I don't care to say anything more,as you have no desire to show respect in that aspect, other then as an artist you should have more empathy.
It is annoying. :)

WAS

You have no excuse to gripe but personal ones and you want to talk about respect? That's pathetic, and disrespectful of someones desires or how they want to represent themselves. You should realize this. Ever hear about equality? Don't like something? Great. Keep it to yourself. Make a complaint to the board leaders about a new rule or something. Anything else is rude, disrespectful, and unneeded. It's not annoying tot he hundreds of thousands of boards that out you. Therefor, it is only a personal opinion, one for which I do not care. As it's pointless.

Dune

One advice, Kadri; don't waste your energy  ;)

archonforest

I like this little scrolling smiley :P
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

In any case, you create your own problem. Account Settings -> Look and Layout -> Don't show users' signatures

Anyways, here is the weird cloud ball. Nothing I've tried changes it.

Tangled-Universe

Wow...sounds I have touched upon something very sensitive...?

You're not making it very easy for yourself here to get help if you act and respond this way, you realize that?

AP

Unless you guys had brought his signature before, who exactly is being sensitive here? It never bothered me and if something like that is going to be an issue, sheesh. Word of warning though, let us not try to play the SJW whiner types and keep it as civil as possible and best we not let freedom of expression, especially something that is not morally offensive bother our time here. Certainly we have better things to do and real issues. Over the years i've noticed that society has become way to over-sensitive ripe with emotions all over the place pulling issues out of deep magic hats and creating problems that should not be problems to begin with. What a world...

Now assuming if there is a real legitimate reason why the signature is a problem but i've said my peace and will leave you adults to sort this out.

As far as the cloud issue, i thought there was something under the file sharing board for a localized cloud based on a column. I don't know where exactly it was though.

yossam

Look in the file sharing, cloud library, on the last page I believe. Dune has one in that section. There is at least one more I know of, I'll have to find it.

Sorry, Dunes' file is on page 13.

Found the other one I was thinking about................do a search for "smoke" in the forum.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,14960.msg145782.html#msg145782

fleetwood

The limiting factor of the localized cloud appears to be the Radius. Trying to use a Depth greater than the defined Radius has no effect.
Instead you can define a large Radius and cut  into that using a simple shape shader.

WAS

Quote from: fleetwood on June 30, 2015, 06:22:14 PM
The limiting factor of the localized cloud appears to be the Radius. Trying to use a Depth greater than the defined Radius has no effect.
Instead you can define a large Radius and cut  into that using a simple shape shader.

That's looks great. I'll see if I can't make it work.

I'll look out for Dune's post. Maybe that was the "thread" I was thinking of.

About the signature, I'll definitely let it go when someone starts going out of their way, and into mine over something so trivial. Especially art. That's like walking down the street, seeing a street mural, or even graffiti and going out of your way to gripe, and let other passing by know how much it upsets, or annoys you. You aren't the property owner (PlanetSide Staff) and they have not advised against it, nor stated any rules. And I don't see people registering and going out of there way to do the same.

So literally, I don't get it. There is no reason but personal ones that defy social construct.

Oshyan

The Localize feature does limit the cloud layer to a *sphere* and not a column, technically speaking. Practically speaking in many cases the result is an apparent *cylinder* when the Radius of the localization sphere exceeds the Depth of the Cloud Layer (thus creating essentially a cylindrical "slice" of the sphere). In the 3D preview the shape is currently shown as a cylinder, which is unfortunately not always technically accurate. We're considering better ways to handle this in the future, but we don't have an ideal solution yet.

Regarding the signature, we don't have specific rules besides length of signature at this point, largely because such rules have not been necessary. However historical convention in *this* social group has established a general lack of image-based signatures. That's not a judgment, simply a statement of fact; you can look through the archives of the forums for many years and see few to no signatures with images in them. So there is nothing inherently wrong with an image-based signature, it just doesn't fit in with how things have generally been done here, not by rule but by social convention. It's my view that the participants here are a big part of what define the tone and general aesthetic of the place, even if we do have to enforce some basic rules from time to time . I don't think this is one of those times, so you can do as you like within the rules. But it does make me wonder what the incentives for having an image-based signature are if there has been such vocal concern about it here in this community and one's desire is to be a part of it.

- Oshyan