Basic crowd sim possibility

Started by Kadri, August 06, 2015, 09:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

The SS shader was for lowering the ground in some parts.

Kadri

my screen cap did not show some parts too :)

[attachimg=1]

Hannes

I think the main difference is that you put the second compute terrain in the same row like the first one and I used separate ways for them right after the terrain area. Maybe it's the same result in the end, I don't know...

Kadri

Hmm...interesting. I used the SS shader after a big image mask-displacement gave me some stepped displacement problems.
Better to use 16 or higher bit images probably.

But it looks like the problem i have here is because of the SS shader.

Looked closer. Yes it happens because of the SS shader. But it is related to the Edge profile+Smooth step  setting.
When i use smaller values in the "Edge width" the problem goes away.

It looked strange because you expect lower parts but they look really as they are disappearing or whatever.
And it is strongly evident at the edge of the population. At least so much i can see from here.

Problem picture 1:

[attachimg=1]

Problem picture 2:

[attachimg=2]

Kadri

Quote from: Hannes on August 16, 2015, 07:24:13 AM
I think the main difference is that you put the second compute terrain in the same row like the first one and I used separate ways for them right after the terrain area. Maybe it's the same result in the end, I don't know...

So different ways to use those nodes :)

Kadri

It is Matt's domain, but especially at higher displaced parts of the terrain it looks like together with the SS shader smoothing there are some funky things going on at the edges of the population node.
The flatter ground parts don't look so bad despite that they are in the smooth area too.

Hannes

Here is the result. Not perfect, but it shows what I wanted to achieve.

Kadri

Still not sold on the population for every wheels part but using a smoother surface for the middle part looks absolutely better Hannes.
Mine are only tests they are perfect as tests, like yours ;)

Hannes

If I would use ONE population for all the wheels, how would I make each wheel be in place?

Kadri

Make  "Spacing variation in a,b" = zero and use the "Object spacing a,b" the way you need it
together with the object size in the population or in the object node itself Hannes.

I used this for the gears animation together with controlling the size of the population itself.

Edit: Just to be clear i was talking about only one car and its wheels.
        Sometimes my second language handicap kicks too much in :)

But even with 3 cars or more you could still use one population with a density shader
        for the wheels and another one for the middle parts if they are moving in the same direction.

Hannes

I'm not quite sure if a density shader would lead to a similar result.
Actually the population per wheel-solution wasn't that hard: I created one wheel population and copied it three times. I then only had to connect the compute terrain with the terrain inputs and adjust the translate values in the transform tab of each object to place the wheels correctly. A matter of two minutes. The rest was just sit back and watch.

Hannes

...and the good thing is: once you have set up the whole thing, you can decide whether you want to have three instances or threehundredthousands (theoretically) of them just by adjusting the area length and/or the object spacing.

Kadri

I think this is a classic Terragen status...if it works for you what can i say :)

Hannes

Yes, it's cool! However it's always helpful to see other ways to solve the same problem. You can decide whether you're happy with your own way or if you want to choose another one.
Thanks Kadri, very much appreciated, really!
Once again, this is your thread, so it still feels a bit strange to post my own stuff here, but as long as it's hopefully inspiring...  :)

Kadri

Regarding the density shader, it only changes the objects in an "ON", "OFF" way in the population so far i have seen.
So the distance between the rows and columns doesn't change only by adding a basic(powerfractal or SSS) density shader.

And no i always like other posts in my thread. I have absolutely no problem with it.
There should be more going on actually here in the forum all around :)