repetitive motion disorder

Started by Upon Infinity, August 08, 2015, 06:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Got this developing in my wrists from using the mouse, leaving me nearly unable to work. Anyone else get this? And what was your solution?

Kadri

This last year i am too much working on the computer.
My wrist and lastly especially index finger is hurting really bad.
I use a mouse pad with a wrist rest but it helps only so much.

If i wasn't working and just playing i would use my left hand.
That did help in the past. Obvious things like working less helped too of course.

I had friends who had to go thru surgery.

Did you go to a doctor (i did not :) ) ? That might be the best way to get a solution.

AP

I never heard of such a thing. Is that a form of inflammation?

Kadri

In another forum it was said that using different devices (trackball,tablet and pen,touchscreens  etc) were a good help too.
If they weren't so expensive i would like to buy a big tablet and pen.

bobbystahr

I use an el cheepo Bamboo tablet from wacom...mousing was hurting me as well....keeping my Face Book time down as y need the wheel.
Also my chiropractor was most helpful straightening out what I was buggering up. His style is Network Chiropractic and it is largely craino-sacral therapy with some spinal and special needs work(my wrists, fore arms and feet) at the end. I find it helps 'puter posture as well as he told me to stop crossing my legs while sitting long periods. D'oh....I shoulda known....but sometime I gotta be told.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

efflux

The computer mouse is a disasterous tool for this kind of thing. One solution is to use a tablet. You won't get strain from that because holding a pen is much more natural. I've had strain from using a mouse. Not actual damage though. I stop before that happens. The ultimate is a Wacon Cintiq. You won't get any strain ever from using that but they are expensive. This is also why I despite computer software that forces you to do things in inefficient ways with multitudes of clicks.

Upon Infinity

I have not gone to a doctor, Kadri.  But it's getting to a point where that's going to be necessary.  It's been a near constant for about 10 months.  And gotten worse in the last couple weeks.

Surgery isn't an option, as that will require downtime, and could potentially mess things up in there even worse.  It's a long term problem that needs a long term solution. 

I think I'll restrict my computer time to just rendering and a few other tasks.  I have a Surface Pro, which is similar to a WACOM Cintiq.  I've already switched to this device for modelling purposes, so I may have to use it for all other non-rendering tasks, as well.  It uses a stylus.  It's interesting; I use a mouse with the right hand, but a stylus with the left.  And yes, Efflux, you can get it from a stylus, too, but its not as bad.

I'm also looking at one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx4o_OrP6xA

And I think mandatory hourly breaks are going to be necessary, too.

I'm also looking at some tips: http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/cumousetips.html

AP

All i use is my Wacom and i do not recall the last time i ever used a mouse. It helps with the hands in proper position for certain.

So it is a form of inflammation. Those Chinese hand balls might help. Those are supposed to be good for those types of issues.

Kadri

Quote from: Upon Infinity on August 08, 2015, 09:47:41 PM
I'm also looking at one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx4o_OrP6xA
I'm also looking at some tips: http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/cumousetips.html

The first link devices are interesting.Not sure how much they help.

The second link was interesting too. Especially "Don't use a Wrist Rest" part. I will try and use those tips.

mhaze

I'm getting old and had the same problem - I eventually tracked it down to muscle loss.  As a rock climber in my youth I developed very strong wrists, when I stopped climbing in my fifties I lost a lot of that power.  When I started getting repetitive strain injury I went back to doing some old wrist exercises and the pain disappeared.  So try strengthening your wrists. STOP using a mouse and if you can't then don't rest your hand on the mouse when you are not using it. Learn keyboard shortcuts.

Dune

If at all possible, do yourself a big favor and invest in health/Wacom! Especially if you a lot of computer work. I've got an Intuos 3 and can't do without. Typing with pen between fingers, far easier manoeuvring of stuff, and drawing in Photoshop, and no more RSI at all, which I also had when still mousing.

Upon Infinity

I actually have a Wacom tablet for such uses.  It is an older model, however, and for whatever reason, the drivers only load half the time.  I may have better luck with a new model, maybe.

Dune

Drivers are a (slight) problem indeed. Perhaps uninstalling and install again helps. Try the latest drivers, but take care; I had this sudden BSOD when installing the wrong driver. I also have occasions where it says; driver not loaded, while it's running perfectly. So I uninstalled and installed, and now that's over as well.

Kadri

Since 3 days i have worked much less on the computer and since this thread i don't use the mouse pad with wrist support.
I already feel a little better. Still have pain but it is half as bad :)