E-on (Vue) acquired by Bentley

Started by Tangled-Universe, September 14, 2015, 04:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

Being bought out by AD is how good programs retire ;-)

I think TG needs more development towards tools to enable better workflow. As is, TG's procedural displacement is the best I've used. The atmospheric effects are up there too.

From my perspective I consider Houdini to be more the competition, not Vue or WM.
Although I agree, from a marketing point of vue (lol) Vue is the stuff.

Going back to my reasoning, TG has nearly all the tools you need to block out a scene, which makes it a core app.
A lot easier and faster to setup a scene than H. But to extract everything out is a time warp.

masonspappy

yossam

Dune

Matt wouldn't do that to us, would he?  :-\ 

Tangled-Universe

AD specifically would be bad, but if you ask me if I think Planetside would make a good move if they would sell or attract venture capital, then I think I would definitely say yes and that they even should.

TheBadger

interesting. The upside would be we get all the stuff matt plans much sooner. But, what would upgrades cost?
Also, how much control would they have over matt then? They may have different ideas about things.

I agree with Ashley, that TG is much more than a terrain app already. Would like to see it expand even further. just don't like the waiting part very much.
It has been eaten.

Hetzen

Quote from: TheBadger on September 17, 2015, 03:32:39 PM
I agree with Ashley, that TG is much more than a terrain app already. Would like to see it expand even further. just don't like the waiting part very much.

I think it's a very sensible approach. Seeing some of the crazy good ideas on this forum and listening to what the industry wants is the right way to approach things.

Tangled-Universe

That's exactly why I would be happy to hear that Planetside will sell out or attract venture capital in some other way to break the vicious circle it's in now.
It would finally allow for an extra developer or two to speed things up, generate sales, exposure etc. etc.

interesting. The upside would be we get all the stuff matt plans much sooner. But, what would upgrades cost?
Also, how much control would they have over matt then? They may have different ideas about things.

That's completely dependent on the conditions and whether the investor/company would agree with those.

I can't speak for Matt, but the way I know him he feels most comfortable with the software part of running a business.
So a construction where Matt retains his position as instigator and becomes a CTO to keep control over the software's features and technology would be quite appealing to him, but like I said, I can't speak for him.
It would at least allow for others to move in to arrange all the other non-technical stuff and distractions, like speculating users ;)

Quote from: Hetzen on September 17, 2015, 04:03:32 PM

I think it's a very sensible approach. Seeing some of the crazy good ideas on this forum and listening to what the industry wants is the right way to approach things.

I'm not sure what you are referring to Jon?

Hetzen

Quote from: Hetzen on September 17, 2015, 04:03:32 PM

I'm not sure what you are referring to Jon?

Not really referring to anything Martin. I just think that I'd rather have an app at my disposal that allows me to achieve naturalistic 'real' effects that has been well considered, rather than knee jerked into existence by shareholders.

Tangled-Universe

Haha, knee jerked, yes definitely agree.

TheBadger

I am just saying that I feel like there should be people who want to own a part of TG. Who can see what we see. And that they should give matt money to get from A-Z faster.
Not saying anything else, in that regard.

I just kinda feel like Bentley is a little stupid to buy software that is structurally wobbly simply because it is well known, or more well known, or just has some more bells and whistles.

Tg does not have everything it should. But everything that it does have is dependable. And when I look at what I would say is the best TG renders against what I would say are the best Vue renders. TG is more often than not more realistic in what it has rendered, IMO.

Im just fan-boy-ing I guess. But its hard to not have an opinion that TG is better after being around here this long. I have been paying attention ;D

Anyway, I would rather speculate on this stuff than on sports. And even politics makes me sick to death now. CG is still fun to rant about though :D
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Don't forget what Bentley seems to have mainly bought E-On for though. It's not Vue...

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on September 17, 2015, 07:54:13 PM
Don't forget what Bentley seems to have mainly bought E-On for though. It's not Vue...

- Oshyan

Yup...one tiny piece....at least the creator keeps his control but I doubt he'll have access to al the R & D cash...well maybe...time will tell.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Ashley

Thinking on the topic of "funding", another potential backer would be a studio.
I don't think they wouldn't invest $$ directly. But if they wanted TG integrated to their pipeline they potentially would invest time to develop it.

TheBadger

Quote from: Ashley on September 18, 2015, 02:50:50 PM
Thinking on the topic of "funding", another potential backer would be a studio.
I don't think they wouldn't invest $$ directly. But if they wanted TG integrated to their pipeline they potentially would invest time to develop it.

I was guessing that was what Digital Domain was doing.
It has been eaten.