Cloud warping

Started by AP, September 27, 2015, 02:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

I am using the fractal warp shader to add details to a low octave cloud as an experiment of sorts but what i am seeing are squared artifacts here and there and am curious if this is caused by the fractal warp shader itself.

Answered.

Dune

I think it does, as it has some sort of vertical 'erosion' element in it. You'd better warp with the normal warp setup, I guess.

AP

That seems to make the most sense because the sides of the clouds suggest such. I figured i would try anyways as an experiment.

Dune

Never enough experiments, that's how one learns  ;)

AP

Oshyan

Fractal Warp is, I believe, very specifically intended for use on terrain as displacement. So it's not surprising it might be creating "artifacts" or other weirdness when used on something that's getting shaded volumetrically (cloud).

- Oshyan

AP

I used it on clouds looking from above and it looks good so in the case of clouds, it might work in some rare instances. Distant and or orthographic views might work well.

Matt

The Fractal Warp Shader only warps in X and Z. Maybe we need a 3D version of this.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

AP

That certainly would open up some nice additional ideas and an easy way to create warps with only one node.

AP

What would be nice is add some additional inputs to the existing fractal warp shader. X,Y and Z check boxes for the warping axis and a randomize tab. This would be quite ideal.

Dune

cyphyr

Quote from: Matt on September 29, 2015, 01:24:49 AM
The Fractal Warp Shader only warps in X and Z. Maybe we need a 3D version of this.

Matt

Definately a 3D version would be good. It may also get rid of the artefacts that occur at the equator.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

AP

What artifacts?, curious.

Dune

I guess if you render an equatorial scene with fractal warp that only works in XZ, you get strange effects, not what you'd get at 0/0/0, but kind of rotated.

AP