NWDA's 2016 Theme Challenge Brainstormin

Started by DannyG, October 10, 2015, 01:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Echo Oshyan; brilliant. And for the rest, I'll shut up  ;)

archonforest

Quote from: Upon Infinity on October 12, 2015, 09:32:15 PM
I always thought there should be a contest to see who can make the best looking TG default scene.  I'll throw it out there, but I'm not married to it.
I also had this idea before. Just open TG, do not move the cam and do your best :)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Walli on October 12, 2015, 02:04:23 PM
theme first , rules later ;-)

-covered in clouds
-river

-first step
-strata
-cave
-avalanche
-at the beach
-reef
-crater

I really like these ones :)

Strata wouldn't surprise anyone I guess :)

Dune

Clouds are hard for users with slower machines.

archonforest

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on October 13, 2015, 04:12:54 AM
Quote from: Walli on October 12, 2015, 02:04:23 PM
theme first , rules later ;-)

-covered in clouds
-river

-first step
-strata
-cave
-avalanche
-at the beach
-reef
-crater

I really like these ones :)

Strata wouldn't surprise anyone I guess :)

What is first step anyway?

BTW a pond scene?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Quote from: Ariel DKMultimedia on October 10, 2015, 09:15:31 PM
jungles is a very good idea, but leaves out those who want to participate with the free version, as also it depends on what you want danny.
what do you think about space scenes? ;)

I could do that with what I run which is the Free version...3 pops and a selection of single objects thrown in for variety...no limit on them except RAM....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on October 12, 2015, 02:52:25 PM
Oshyan you got this right!
IMHO this is the only correct and fair way here.  8)

Agree and brilliantly democratic as well
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

otakar

Full support for Oshyan's ideas. If I should win something I do not want to win a TG Pro license as I already have it, but I'd love the animation upgrade :)

As for theme, please do not make it overly specific and allow room for a terrain and surfacing only scene. I like the geological feature theme. You could retrict it some, let's say arch, cave or tower.

Excited for another contest!

DannyG

Quote from: Danny on October 10, 2015, 01:53:01 PM
I am creating this thread so we can get some input from the community on potential themes for our 2016 Challenge. We would like to hear from you guys and gals..... What Theme would you like to see in the next Challenge?

And is why I suggested to keep it simple by sticking to the request of sharing ideas for a theme :)

Any discussion about the rules following this post is not started by NWDA. Ignore Ulco ;) :D

I'm not Danny of course, so he will deal with this later, but I'm pretty sure that at this stage he's keen on hearing themes.
We'll worry about the rest later.

What would be fun? That's the only question, basically.
Martin hit the nail on the head. Thks Martin
Guys at this point its very preliminary, I created the thread to give you guys a chance to weigh in on a potential topic. I know in the past challenges locking down the rules to keep the playing field even is always a challenge, that said as soon as we define a Theme we can start sorting out the rest. I estimate the Challenge to begin at the beginning 2016. So there is plenty of time.
Thanks for your input, I look forward for your suggestions on a theme at this point, we can hash out the rest at another time. Any questions please ask them here that's why the thread is here
Cheers
Danny

PS I did like the idea of a River Challenge. That would be interesting
The Jungle Theme I found very interesting as well, but as Badger mentioned people with an extensive library of plants would have a significant advantage. Perhaps we can get a sponsor to provide some plants as part of their pledge? I cannot speak for them, but maybe?? Again its still early, keep the Theme suggestions coming. Thank you
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

Glad to hear everyone is onboard with my idea (Danny, does that include you? :D ).

I'm still really liking "River", personally. It leaves things quite open to many of the possibilities from other theme suggestions, for example "geological feature" (you could easily choose to make a dried up river bed in a desert with little or no plants, and some extreme/cool geology, or a river wrapping around a hoodoo, just for 2 ideas of many possibilities). One could also make a river in a jungle. River has enough specificity to provide good direction, while also being open enough to have many possible realizations. Whereas Jungle alone is rather restrictive (even though it has some creative, unexpected possibilities like the high aerial view I mentioned earlier in this thread). Geological Feature seems a bit abstract to me, but is fine as a theme. Beach could be interesting... OK, well I won't comment on every single one, hehe. But I do like the most River so far...

- Oshyan

DannyG

Quote from: Oshyan on October 13, 2015, 02:21:35 PM
Glad to hear everyone is onboard with my idea (Danny, does that include you? :D ).

Sounds great actually. Its open enough for all users Free through Pro. It's a bit early to commit but that is the best one so far for sure
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

kaedorg

As I was on Jungle idea on first, i do admit that owners of a large plant library could get a serious advantage.
The river is very interesting and it can go in so many ways. Even jungle as it is hard to think of a jungle without river.
So I +1 for the river as it seems to be a fair theme for everybody.
So we all could have fun to share our ideas and renders and learn a lot from each other again.

David

RogueNZ

River or Island would be my theme preferences, plenty of scope to flex Terragen's muscles without disadvantaging anyone too much  :)

Tangled-Universe

Thanks all, keep m coming :)

We're bouncing some ideas about themes and challenge setup back and forth behind the curtains in the mean time.

As long as we haven't decided we're very happy to hear everyone's input :)

Dune

I do hope we get more contestants than last time...