Started by DannyG, October 10, 2015, 01:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Upon Infinity

Quote from: Dune on October 15, 2015, 12:26:31 PM
I do hope we get more contestants than last time...

Last time, I never even heard about it until 3 weeks in.

TheBadger

For consideration...

I like river too. Can put a river anywhere really, so plenty of freedom for creativity and personal choice.

However, if you go back and read all of the threads on rivers (more resent ones) you'll see that making rivers in TG requires a lot of irritating hacks. If you read Ulco's threads he had to figure out a lot just to get the water to follow the ground, then there is the unfixable problem of the fact that the water does not flow around curves (not really, though Ulco kinda made it look like it did, some times).
Of course people will think of water falls when they are generating ideas for them selves... look at the water fall threads. Water is simply not a strong point of TG, with all respect to the people who do pretty amazing things with it. But in my very humble opinion, for most people, a contest on making rivers in TG will be a frustration where results are concerned, compared to normal terrains.

How will you do rapids and bubbles and sediments and so on and so on. Yes, it can be done. But not by everyone, and never as well as in other 3D apps that do water well. caustics? Anyone? Nope.

Of course my criticism dose not include lakes and ponds and such, which TG can do really well for the most part, and which everyone who has TG can figure out pretty easily. But a river is arguably a more (potentially) complex ecosystem even just at the mechanical level.

The thing about the Iceland contest that was so great is that is focused effort, provided inspiration at a huge level, and remained open enough that you could do pretty much anything with it, minus a palm tree.

I understand wanting to do something completely different this time. But I would just say that the really good parts of the Iceland contest should also be put into to this contest. So something that helps focus direction such as (but not necessarily) a specific place. And which allows for a lot of freedom of choice.

Of course all I wrote may be moot if there will be a update soon, that makes rivers more practical and realistic in TG, and slightly less difficult if Ulco releases his river nodes for all ;)

Anyway, I don't know. But I just think we will end up with a lot of good TG terrains and a "U" shaped negative displacement with a lake node dropped in in a valley.

As for me, I was already thinking about how I could use other apps to make both the river bed and the water to use in TG.
Or I guess you could just use clouds ;D
It has been eaten.

Dune

It doesn't have to be a very elaborate and 'difficult' river to make a striking render.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Michael,

These are definitely things to take into consideration I think.

You're right in that the challenge must be...well...challenging, but definitely not frustrating.
Your concerns about how poor water is handled in TG are basically the same as mine regarding a Jungle theme based challenge.
With Jungle the emphasis is on objects and TG is not particularly outstanding with object rendering.
It's the most fun to utilize the strengths of the software.

In the end it's mostly about the fun and learning experience through the WIP threads.
It's good for TG and its entire community if the output of the challenge is high quality.
Our "responsibility" lies in choosing a theme/setup which ensures that, but yet is challenging and within the technical scope of TG.

So thanks for bringing it up :)
I'll see to it that others will read your comment as well.

Cheers,
Martin

TheBadger

T-U

Cool man. Really not trying to be a downer.
Of course if a lot of people want to try and fight the reality and a lot of people enter on the river idea, then that is cool too. Whatever will make people excited and inspired. Just in that case, I would want to be able to use out side tools for the contest (we should be able to use outside tools anyway)

My guess though, is that it just won't end up well, having a TG contest on something TG does not do natively.
I agree with you completely about the whip threads. That really is one of the best parts of these contests. It makes it fun even for people who do not participate (according to written feed back posted here in the forum). And I also would like to see lots more entries as Ulco and Danny said.

Having said that, the idea someone posted about a cloud scape (I think it was "lost in clouds", or something) is a very challenging idea. TG can do really amazing atoms for sure. Clouds are built into TG native. So everyone can get something easy... Everyone will have a place to start without having to first think of a workaround.

As for me clouds as a focus really scares me because I find it hard and time consuming. But I cannot make an argument that TG does not do clouds, that is for sure.

Hmmm ok. So where I am at on my wish, is Island or Clouds, of the ideas that were posted so far.

There is another way to go about this, that is perhaps not as fun as what we are doing in this thread.
rather than giving a specific challenge, you could have a list of things any render must have to be eligible regardless of the theme.
So for an example, every entry must have some TG generated terrain. must have some TG generated clouds or clouds that are rendered in TG (saying it that way opens it up a bit). Every entry must have some water. and every entry must have at least one imported object.

Just another way to think about it.

Just trying to participate here, no worries from me.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Just lobbying now  :P, but...
Quote"Island" is not bad, but I think mostly relies fairly heavily on plants too (or it's a somewhat boring island?), and I think most people's imagination tends towards tropical islands

Ever been to England?

As for me I have been on lots of islands. Only saw a palm tree on a few of them. but there were lots of plants.
The rock faces are what I like best though. https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=apostle+islands+wisconsin&hl=en&biw=1196&bih=851&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIkpf4wuLHyAIVQY4NCh09Kgkz

You could put palm trees on them though. Its 3d after all. You can do anything you want... If you have imagination, or google.  ;D

It would not be silly at all to put a cactus on an island in a tundra (with or without clouds or a river) if you guys were to pick my most awesome state of Wisconsin for the theme  ;D. http://wpt.org/Wisconsin-Gardener/Segments/hardy-cactus

But I shouldn't promote Wisconsin here. Its not fair to people who live is crappy places (like Illinois) :D :D :D ;)
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Roads and rivers are kinda similar, and we've done roads before... ;) But your points are well taken Badger, and good to consider.

As for islands, even non-tropical islands will tend to have plant life, no? It does add to the challenge, not necessarily in a bad way of course.

- Oshyan

masonspappy

An idea:  make available to everyone a certain number of plants, buildings, objects - or whatever.  Everyone gets limited to using just these things with their images, in whatever way they want to use them.  Might be interesting to see how creative people can be

Ariel DK

Quote from: bobbystahr on October 13, 2015, 12:34:29 PM
Quote from: Ariel DKMultimedia on October 10, 2015, 09:15:31 PM
jungles is a very good idea, but leaves out those who want to participate with the free version, as also it depends on what you want danny.
what do you think about space scenes? ;)

I could do that with what I run which is the Free version...3 pops and a selection of single objects thrown in for variety...no limit on them except RAM....
just for clear doubts. I render this a few months ago. I started this in the free version and finished in the Professional version.
I think it's the simplest example that there is about a river in the jungle, with only 3 pops.
I know the capabilities of the free version Bobby, and you're telling someone who has been using a year ago ;)
however, you cant deny that remains a distinct disadvantage
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

TheBadger

:) Thanks O.

But really, Illinois sucks.
Bunch of flatlanders.

It has been eaten.

mhaze

Michael, You can make the water flow in the same direction as the river!  It's quite easy!