NWDA's 2016 Theme Challenge Brainstormin

Started by DannyG, October 10, 2015, 01:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

I am creating this thread so we can get some input from the community on potential themes for our 2016 Challenge. We would like to hear from you guys and gals..... What Theme would you like to see in the next Challenge?
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

kaedorg

As Iceland was a very nice idea last year, I would completely change for jungle.
I would not say desert as some areas in iceland may be desertic as well.
Let's say Jungle

David

AP

Oshyan

I quite like the Jungle idea. It will stress people's plant collections a lot, but there are possible ways around that (more distant jungle shot, say from the top of a cliff or mountain, e.g. the Venezuelan highlands). And it gives lots of interesting options for scenes, including animal life if desired. :D

- Oshyan

Ariel DK

jungles is a very good idea, but leaves out those who want to participate with the free version, as also it depends on what you want danny.
what do you think about space scenes? ;)
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Howard McPherson

I would like to see a theme on geological features such as arches, balanced rocks, cenotes, cave entrances and interiors with lakes, the Richat structure, erupting volcanoes and geysers, cliff face walls, underwater geological features, sea mounts, tafoni, auroras, glaciers, icebergs, and rock waves such as in Paria Canyon. I have no ability to do any of these topics. Thank you. Howard McPherson

Dune

I like the geological idea. By that time everybody will probably have Daniil's erosion shader for additional interest, and smart uses. The vegetation may indeed be a drawback for free users, and is not really about Terragen either. Terragen is mainly about molding the planet, plants are extra's from outside.
"River" may be a topic with lots of potential images as well, and doable for every user.

AP

ADE

archonforest

River theme for example gives more variety than jungle imho.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Tangled-Universe

Rivers and especially geological themes are great ideas.

Space shots and anything heavily related to flora/fauna objects are not really showcasing TG's specific capabilities as I think you get the nicest results with Terragen if you use its strengths.

Rudolfking

Mars? Maybe... with rivers? :) This would be a featured theme for next year :)

Tangled-Universe

Given there's a lot of reference out there on Mars's surface and atmosphere, including the discussions on the latter ;) I think it's a nice theme suggestion as well :)

TheBadger

I would not want something  that requires me to buy something before I can even think about participating. Jungles are absolutely dominated/defined by plant life.
It would mean that the contest is more about making objects look good in TG, than about terrain. Besides, I don't think that I even have one palm tree, let alone a jungles worth of plants.

How about and Island theme? I think this may be good because it will force people to think about a smaller area (and those who want could make it tropical/jungle if they like).  A benefit for a lot of people may be that by thinking in terms of an island, they would not end up being over whelmed  by the infinite possibility of an entire planet. A funny problem of 3D including TG, is the infinite possibilities, can make it hard to focus on a place to start.

Island should be interpreted loosely though. for example (beyond the obvious):
http://wallpaperswa.com/thumbnails/detail/20121204/tower%20desert%20artwork%20master%20piece%201600x1012%20wallpaper_wallpaperswa.com_85.jpg So something surrounded by something else. No water here, but clearly an island.

OR metaphorically, life surrounded by death; A human lost in a desert, a single plant trying to survive in a volcanic environment, The earth in its orbit...

But of course, more simply, an island:
https://www.google.com/search?q=islands&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIi6vowvC6yAIVCV0eCh0hOgnN&biw=1347&bih=832

[attachimg=1]
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Of the suggestions so far I think I now like Rivers best. "Geological features" is interesting but a bit too non-specific I think. Jungles would be really cool to see, but indeed quite challenging, especially to free version users (both because of population limits and budget). "Island" is not bad, but I think mostly relies fairly heavily on plants too (or it's a somewhat boring island?), and I think most people's imagination tends towards tropical islands. Extending the theme to be more "abstract", i.e. "island of stone in a desert" is interesting but hard to really grasp, I would be uncertain as a participant if my entry would fit.

Keep the ideas coming, I'm sure there are plenty more good possibilities. :)

- Oshyan