light and shadow on object

Started by Dune, December 14, 2015, 12:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I might as well keep on using this thread... made a branch in ST. Olive ripeness is procedural  ;)

Dune

Did some more work on the branch, because leaves sit on it in particular way. Better I think.
I did some renders but encountered the GISD+BLUR-bug (pillarerror), so I turned GISD off again, and also an issue regarding shadows. I think that if the sun shines in a 'bad' way on a bent leaf, the translucency or light is calculated too hard, so you see the poly edges (while the normals were calculated as smooth). I may try a heavier leaf mesh (this is an 8 poly).

masonspappy

Not sure I could tell the difference between some of these images and the 'real thing'

TheBadger

QuoteAnd yet still the vast majority of VFX companies and artists oppose strongly to standardization of all kinds of 3D data types  ::)
Ludicrous.

Boy do I know how you feel!

Nice last few tests Ulco!

I was trying a few experiments as well building on the first. Trying to make vectors of the trees, and stamp into a terrain. Not sure how this is going to go. Have to do it two different ways. one way to make any tree trunks that can be used any normal way, and also another method to make them into vector brushes to paint onto a terrain... Starts out the same way though.... Trying to make them as crazy as I can so that they can look interesting without branches and leaves, since I can't think of anyway to apply those to a vector terrain in TG.
Changing the textures alone can make things very alien.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Still not sure why It did not output normals.

Also, very confused how you were able to post an image of the trunk with that painted on texture, ulco. I could not even get the UVs to show in maya. Saving an FBX crashes me in mud every time now. I still don't understand so much of this stuff, mostly I think do to what T-U said. Its deliberately made to be as overly complex as possible.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 23, 2015, 11:57:45 AM
I might as well keep on using this thread... made a branch in ST. Olive ripeness is procedural  ;)

Cool trick with the olives...noticed the green ones in another of those series of renders.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

zaxxon

Great work Ulco! This has evolved very nicely. I'm taking notes...

Dune

You know where to find me, Doug  ;)
Michael, you mean the olive 8 combi? That's an LW screenie with texture on.
Would be cool to have some vdisp trunks; you'd have to make a vdisp map by adding another lowpoly plane (if you worked from a plane, I think that's the only way to get it to work on a flat surface in TG), and mapping the difference.

TheBadger

Hey man. :)

Yeah, I have to import the base shape first. And make a height field (no overhangs) so like top down in TG. Then on that new plane raise up the height field, then sculpt and make the vector. then take that vector and try to paint with it. You can make a vector out of any object in mud by first making a simple displacement, then using that on a new plane then sculpting in your detail and overhangs and such. demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuGDdhSqIhg when you have time.

I will send you some vectors if they pan out. I tried to send you the .mud but I still can't believe how huge .mud files are.

I will do the other stuff first though, definitely after this we should get back to doing things with vectors. Working back and forth like this on small individual object/projects is kinda fun actually. Learning a lot and it keeps me motivated/interested. :)
It has been eaten.

Dune

There's so much to be done, I wish I had three of myself. Yeah, I know how to make vdisp maps, but I thought you didn't  ;) Trying to get the hang of ZBrush now, which can combine branches to trunks and thus make it possible to sculpt on the whole thing (small tut from Jochen is helping me).
Our Christmas appointment was cancelled (sickness, not of us), so I've got time, yeah  :) ( ::))

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

The "procedural ripeness" trick is pretty awesome Ulco. :D

- Oshyan

Dune

Thanks, Oshyan. It's unfortunate the 'real olives' can't be hung in whole trees. Well, they can, but MB's soar to much above 100MB.
This latest has DOF, so no GISD. Would be great to have both.