realism

Started by Cocateho, December 25, 2015, 09:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I upped the multiplier, not that high. I'll have to test again.

Here is an example of what I meant by varying the autumn colours. This was a xfrog summer birch, no autumn colours. Single population.

bobbystahr

Really like the autumn forest WAS...will play with your .tgc tomorrow...too eye tired ...just in from hearing a young friend play...more 'sound horney' than '3D horney' rite now....hee hee
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

The color variation method has been there for a few years now, ever since Matt made the transform shader. And there are tgc's around, gathering dust, I guess  ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 10, 2016, 02:37:47 AM
The color variation method has been there for a few years now, ever since Matt made the transform shader. And there are tgc's around, gathering dust, I guess  ;)

I mainly use a PF shader in greys - white
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Cocateho

Rendering a test now, I know about the PF to vary population color but I never quite figured out effective variations on single objects, I usually use a PF there in the color function, which helps but not quite the effect I had originally wanted to achieve as far as variation.

WAS

This has nothing to do with the transform shader. It's basically a seed for merge sheders mix function from noise derived from Get Position. Get Position picks up a new location on each iteration. Idea is from the population varying topic. I guess it allows the texture to be independent from the objects texture map. Not exactly sure

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: WASasquatch on January 10, 2016, 02:36:45 PM

This has nothing to do with the transform shader. It's basically a seed for merge sheders mix function from noise derived from Get Position. Get Position picks up a new location on each iteration. Idea is from the population varying topic. I guess it allows the texture to be independent from the objects texture map. Not exactly sure

Ghehe...interesting reply :)

Dune

:D I wasn't talking about your setup, Was.

WAS

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 11, 2016, 01:56:47 AM
Quote from: WASasquatch on January 10, 2016, 02:36:45 PM

Ghehe...interesting reply :)

You believe the Get Position shader and noise shaders use Transform Shader?

Quote from: Dune on January 11, 2016, 02:38:17 AM
:D I wasn't talking about your setup, Was.

My apologies, I thought we were on topic to what was posted ;) Sorry for the confusion, I believe I already mentioned it's derived from past methods.

Tangled-Universe

No it wasn't about what you said technically WAS.
I just had to chuckle a bit when you were first pretty firm/sure and then end your comment that you aren't sure.
Never mind, it's not important, I just liked it :)

WAS

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 11, 2016, 10:21:16 AM
No it wasn't about what you said technically WAS.
I just had to chuckle a bit when you were first pretty firm/sure and then end your comment that you aren't sure.
Never mind, it's not important, I just liked it :)

Well that comment is to the last sentence. Lol

Cocateho

Here's a small crop, I decided to change tree models (still the chestnut though) seems to have helped with the weird shadows. I could probably get away with upping the displacement a bit.

A question as far as object rendering: Is it possible to have both ray tracing and displacement on an object?

It is clear from you guy's conversation how little I actually understand of how Terragen really functions, so much of this goes over my head   :-\ but having a better understanding would probably fill some gaps as far as things that I always wished I could do thinking there just wasn't any good way to do it.

inkydigit

this latest one looks great!
the answer is no - only pseudo displ. (bump) as far as i remember..?
:)
J

KyL

You currently can't raytrace the displacement as far as I know, pending Matt confirmation.

Regarding your picture, the bark is indeed much better!
I would be carefull about the colors as the red bush looks very saturated and generally your trunks look very bright. Ideally you want your materials to be consistent and make sense. A good idea would be to look at your picture in black and white and see if everything seems to fit together.

Adding a fractal noise to introduce color variations in the bushes/trees would greatly help you shot! You will indeed need to add a transform shader after your powerFractal and check "world space position" in order to get it to give you variation over the whole model.
Otherwise it's going to be mapped as a 2D image and you won't be able to break up the color of the folliage.

The grass and the pool of light under the big tree in the background is really nice. You could also pump up the transluceny of the leaves!

Cheers!

Oshyan

Unfortunately you can't use raytracing and displacement at the same time. That's why there is an option as to which render method to use. If we could raytrace object displacement it would just be *the* way to do things. :D

- Oshyan