Image map feature request

Started by AP, May 07, 2016, 07:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

It would be great to have some options within the Image Map Shader that allows repeating textures to scatter randomly similar to what the Populator features have. This would avoid the "grid" pattern issue when mapping textures over large terrain areas.

Dune

Agreed, very handy. Or a scatter shader that would take input to scatter (like a simple shape shader, crater shader)...

AP

Something like that could work just as well, even better then only applying to image maps. On objects and stones it is not such an issue because of such a small limited area but imagine a large chunk of land going out a few thousand meters, then things become rather noticeable.

I think there was discussion about such a shader from older threads if I recall.

KyL

Dune

Btw, to overcome the grid pattern it's quite easy to make a few (rotated) versions of the image map, call them in and have them masked by a PF, for a random 'scatter'.

AP

The thought had crossed my mind the other day. However, less work and nodes would be ideal. For now I will consider the current option. 

j meyer

Quote from: Dune on May 09, 2016, 01:52:01 AM
Btw, to overcome the grid pattern it's quite easy to make a few (rotated) versions of the image map, call them in and have them masked by a PF, for a random 'scatter'.

Which yields definitely better results than a simple scattering of single image instances.
So maybe a plug in to automate the masking solution would be more appropriate anyway.

Kadri

This is one of the features i wanted too since a while.
No deal breakers but some automatic image size adjustment for objects and cubic mapping would be nice too. 

KyL

Quote from: Dune on May 09, 2016, 01:52:01 AM

My only problem with that is that every time the texture will be loaded into memory. This can become a serious issue when you start to have a lot of different textures....

Another solution could be to have the ability to change the texture repetition through a node. That's essentially the only reason why you have to use different instances of the same texture. Something that could act like a "texture populator" maybe? With the same settings so it could be possible to have a texture at the same position as an asset, for example a leafy ground at the bottom of trees...  ::)

Dune

If you load the texture once and take it through a transform shader (or a few), you can get more 'versions' and mix those. Just one load.
There are ways to mix them without overlap too, there was a thread about a nice setup quite a while ago.

AP

That might work for now. Perhaps in some cases it would still require a lot of Transform input shaders just to make it random and natural enough.

j meyer

Kadri - most likely you know already, but, just in case....
          Cubic mapping, done manually, works flawless. Only auto generated
          Cube maps don't work. And a manual mapping of six sides is done
          really quick.

Kadri

Quote from: j meyer on May 10, 2016, 11:30:36 AM
...And a manual mapping of six sides is done really quick.

I want a "one click solution" ;D

Dune

Open Terragen, click once, wait a little while: perfect render  ;)

Kadri

I am sure Matt does have a version in his mind in that you click on "make perfect random world" and render away :D