[attachimg=1]

AP

That is one fantastic cloud.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks guys :)

Quote from: Kadri on May 27, 2016, 07:12:47 AM

Nice. Are there two clouds?

No this is 1 cloud layer.

In some cumulus cloud you see "flat shelves" of dark clouds surrounding the main cumulus cloud.
I managed to make those too in just the same single cloud layer, but the more I do to try to make this awesome, the longer it takes to render.
This took about a day, but the render settings are also quite extreme.

Dune

AP

I would have thought two clouds layers as well. One layer for the base and one layer for the cloud convection.

Kadri

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 27, 2016, 07:18:15 AM
Thanks guys :)

Quote from: Kadri on May 27, 2016, 07:12:47 AM

Nice. Are there two clouds?

No this is 1 cloud layer.

In some cumulus cloud you see "flat shelves" of dark clouds surrounding the main cumulus cloud.
I managed to make those too in just the same single cloud layer, but the more I do to try to make this awesome, the longer it takes to render.
This took about a day, but the render settings are also quite extreme.

Thanks.
Render times will be always a problem probably.
But at least this kind of cloud quality is hard to find in other software.

mhaze

KlausK

That is quite a beauty!
cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

yossam

Hannes

Looks great, Martin! So how did you create the "shelf" and the main cumulus part inside one cloud layer? Or was it accidentally?

Tangled-Universe

Cheers all of you :)

Quote from: Hannes on May 27, 2016, 11:31:31 AM
Looks great, Martin! So how did you create the "shelf" and the main cumulus part inside one cloud layer? Or was it accidentally?

"Accidents" still happen, fortunately in this context :)

However, it was no accident.
See the attachment for a screenshot of the node network.
Here's how it works in a nutshell:

Each colour adjust creates a gradient from black to white over a certain altitude range.
If you multiply those you can create a "altitude range mask" which specifies at which altitude range your cloud can exist.
The range is about 30 meters.
There's a 2nd set which creates a mask 100 meters above the other.
You add these together and a transform node allows you to easily move the whole thing up/down without having to re-enter values in the 4 colour adjust shaders, very handy.
The result you use as a blendshader for the fractal.
Despite that all the colour adjust nodes and the fractal is clamped, I did have to use a clamp scalar to make it work. Don't know why exactly, but it works!

In the end you simply use an "add scalar" node to add this shelf-setup to the cloud density network you built, very easy.

[attachimg=1]

Here's how it looks in the preview. I exaggerated the visibility of the layer quite a bit for demonstration purposes. You can clearly see (to me at least) the 2 altitude bands where the stretched and flattened cloud fractal exists in.

[attachimg=2]

Upon Infinity

I guess release is pretty close, then, if PS is allowing you to post these samples?

Hetzen

Interesting technique, I guess you're putting meter values in the colour adjust shaders. Lovely render.