Water

Started by Dune, June 05, 2016, 03:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Actually when I typed 'along the lines of understanding blue nodes for those of us without a clue,' it was a qualifier re: difficulty to achieve success with as I know Ulco rarely uses em

I wouldn't worry as you seem to have it down as well....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AP

Very nice water movement, believable enough and the shader experiments are very clever. 

DocCharly65

Absolutely convincing results! Great, Ulco!

Dune

Another test.

bla bla 2

It change.  ;D But i like.

KlausK

Very well done!
Having a go at this since you and Hannes started to post your results myself.
But I am far from anything good looking still atm. Especially the surfacing side of things.
cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

The problem here was to get it into an mp4 (h.264 encoder). It didn't seem to convert like the earlier tests, while they were also bmp's into avi (virtualdub). Strange, but another one is rendering now, see how that goes. I wonder if it's possible to sit one object on the plane/water, which bobs with the displacement. I tried a pop of ships, but at a certain frame suddenly a second ship sprouted from the waves  ???

bla bla 2

you can do the animation to see what happens and I spend my file ?

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20667.msg205623.html#msg205623

Cheers,

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

masonspappy

Dune

I tried to combine water shader and default shader to get some transparency, but rendertime went way up, so I stick to default shader. But for perfection that would work.
The problem with default shader is that the water is of course not really transparent, so adding some dappled light on a 'bottom' is not really working, nor would putting a pier in. And the translucency throws some weird 'shadows' sometimes. It's only useful for particular circumstances.
I don't know which I posted, as I threw around the titles, so here are some extra tests.

Dune

And nr. 6.
Tut in short: Power fractal slightly stretched ridges, color only (reduce roughness, and uncheck clamping), animate Z and Y in a transform shader (I used 2 animated transform shaders, where one rotated the fractal about 20ยบ, multiplied the outcome to get waves to peak where they interact, you can also use 'add' for less impact), feed into displacement shader for waves. Output of the (multiplied) transform shaders feeds into color adjust shader, where you adjust the peaks. Feed into the translucency and luminosity of a default shader, which also bears the water colors (subtle bluish and green); I had translucency at 2, luminosity at 01. The displacement shader I output to a surface shader, which bears the default shader as child.
So now the tops of the waves light up. You can use the same, or another, color adjust shader to define the peaks for the foam, so feed that into a surface shader's mask input, where you can add a 'foam' fractal as a child. That surface shader of course goes after the default shader. Then feed that output into a reflective shader, and into a lake or plane.

Dune

And 7. I've had it again for a while now.

luvsmuzik

Good wave and foam dissipation roll on forefront wave in front of the rock! Good sun sparkles!