Water

Started by Dune, June 05, 2016, 03:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Inspired by Hannes' latest terrific render. First one doesn't have any ground details, btw.

Hannes

Looks fantastic, Ulco!!
Funny, right after you wrote that you were planning to do some water again, I thought I might give it a try as well. I'm animating something atm.
How did you get the more transparent (backlit) parts of the peaks of the waves?

mhaze

Amazing light on/in those waves!

Kadri

The lights are great on the waves.

masonspappy

Really nice!!
Are you using just water shader or something else?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on June 05, 2016, 04:35:35 AM

How did you get the more transparent (backlit) parts of the peaks of the waves?

I was gonna ask that and if it was an improvement in TG 4.   Ulco is an Alpha tester?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Brilliant Ulco, see my comment /reply to Hannes
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Lady of the Lake

DocCharly65

Excellent, Ulco!

...and of course I am as curious as Bobby and Hannes...  ;)
I can't imagine that there is a glass- or water shader playing a role?

Oshyan

It is, of course, a water (or glass) shader. That's the only thing that can do real transparency and refraction in Terragen. There is no notable change in this in Terragen 4.

- Oshyan

Dune

Sorry Oshyan, but there's not really a water shader (nor glass shader) in here, except for the smaller waves pattern (but with no reflectivity/transparency). I will spill the beans, as you are all so enthusiastic  ;) It's a default shader with translucency and a bit of luminosity basically driven by the whites of the wave PF (so, the higher parts), on top of that a reflective shader, and a more or less changed foam from Oleg's file. Basically.

DocCharly65

Translucency can do THIS??!! wow, cool!
And good to know.

mhaze

Clever and good to know.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on June 06, 2016, 02:51:39 AM
Sorry Oshyan, but there's not really a water shader (nor glass shader) in here, except for the smaller waves pattern (but with no reflectivity/transparency). I will spill the beans, as you are all so enthusiastic  ;) It's a default shader with translucency and a bit of luminosity basically driven by the whites of the wave PF (so, the higher parts), on top of that a reflective shader, and a more or less changed foam from Oleg's file. Basically.

Thinking about the render times i was curious about this. Nice method Ulco.

Tangled-Universe

Very nice effect Ulco and cool/clever technique for this.
I guess many, including me, had a "yes of course" moment when reading how you did it :)