Another rocktype

Started by Dune, June 19, 2016, 02:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Having a go at rocks again (for a change). Only worked on the foreground.

AP

I like these results. This type of rock strata has some very nice potential. Can the sharpness be reduced to a more soft edge just slightly?

mhaze

Is that a power station I see?  Nice foreground rocks but the stratification in the background is too much and too regular for me.

DocCharly65

I like the foreground rocks. Curious where this leads  :)

Jo Kariboo

Lots of potential. As you mentioned you have worked mainly on the foreground and it is excellent. In terms of vegetation, it seems obvious that at this stage it is only a test. Is it you on one of the peaks of rock on the left? :P

Dune

No, it's not a power station, it's a building I put together for the animation contest. And I haven't worked on the total or masking out any unwanted rock strata, hence the too stratified background.
And I don't know if the strata can be softened, this is already quite complicated (though it may not seem so), and I strive for a simple, direct way to get nice strata and blocky rock. But it's a frustrating process. My trials often get more complicated after a while and then it's difficult to alter one bit.

mhaze

Know the feeling - struggling with a difficult pic now!

AP

I understand how difficult alternative approaches to rock strata can be. Another project of mine involves various approaches to rock strata using a decent amount of functions. It is still difficult to desire a certain geological feature no matter what is tried. Not to say what is being attempted here in futile, certainly any experimenting is fascinating to see progress.

Dune

Sometimes I don't actually know why I do it, it doesn't pay my bills, as I am in another kind of busines, sort of. Curiosity and training I guess. Yesterday, I thought to give up, but well....

AP

Curiosity and training makes sense. No disagreement there.    :)

3DnTechNut

Quote from: Dune on June 20, 2016, 02:07:21 AM
Sometimes I don't actually know why I do it, it doesn't pay my bills, as I am in another kind of busines, sort of. Curiosity and training I guess. Yesterday, I thought to give up, but well....

I share those feelings sometimes.  I also work in a different industry, cable t.v., I encode and edit live sports shows and edit NHL hockey games from 3 plus hours to 1 hour, 1.5 hours and 2 hour version for re-air, but I have always wanted to work in 3D graphics and animation, plus I love nature, rocks, skies, clouds, sun rises, and sunsets.  The challenge of trying to duplicate natures wonders in my computer thanks to this beautiful piece of software is what keeps me coming back.  Maybe someday I will get good enough at it to somehow make a dime or two from it, but for now this is kind of an escape from the daily grind for me.

Nice looking rock by the way!

DocCharly65

As Chris says: create and explore

luvsmuzik

I especially like this terrain. Your horizontal displacement of the terrain is what I was asking you about some weeks ago, when I questioned you about displacing some column objects. To me this looks similar to layers of sediment and erosion.

I live where one layer of our geo is limestone and where rivers carve through it and over years we have this effect. Your renders are outstanding.

You may not be rich in greenbacks, however, you have many gifts.

Dune

Dune

Well, I did spend some more hours on rocks (rainy day anyway).