Contest winners

Started by bobbystahr, July 01, 2016, 07:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Oh, okay then. Well, guess it would indeed look nice and professional if this was made into an official "hall of fame" kind of stuff.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

zaxxon

While we who entered can understand the workload and the creative energies required from the limited Planetside Staff (Matt and Oshyan only?), and while even more so we can appreciate the wonderful software that Terragen has become, it still is very disappointing to have spent so much of our time and creativity with full expectations of Planetside fulfilling it's promise to present these winning images in a high-res VR format.  Those of us who won prizes received those as promised and I for one appreciated the prompt fulfillment. The promised 3D Magazine article with interviews and published images was less than successful, but probably beyond Planetside's  control. So N-drju I really don't think anyone is complaining, indeed as Dune suggested there is a certain amount of humour  involved in remarking on the course this Contest has followed, especially on the start of another new contest.  I would still love to see the winning entries in full, high-res VR. My entry took 101 hours to render on an i7 with 48 gigs of RAM, and it was less than half the proposed res of what PS was going to provide via a large renderfarm. This has to be a 'sensitive' issue given the time that has elapsed, and Oshyan's last update was July, 2017. Speaking for myself, I would appreciate a current update and perhaps a little insight as to what occurred along the way.  :)

Oshyan

Well Doug, you hit nail right on head with referencing the heavy nature of your scene. It's been a bear to work with. :D But yours isn't the only one. And since we started out with fairly lofty ambitions (8k stereo spherical, including render elements), well, it took a while to realize and then come to terms with having to downgrade that a good bit. I'm currently working on rendering out 6k non-stereo without render elements, and many scenes are still taking a helluva time, but they're finishing. So we'll have something out for you guys, just not as mind blowing as we'd hoped. But likely higher rez than any of you would have been able to do on your own given the nature of these scenes. We of course deeply regret the delay. After a while one doesn't really know what to say, it seems crazy it's taken so long, but here we are. *sigh*

- Oshyan

zaxxon

Thanks for the update Oshyan, it's much appreciated.  I'll look forward to seeing all of the images at some future date, and thanks for all the extra work this must have generated!

Dune

Yes, thank you Oshyan, and thanks for bearing with our humour (we need more of it anyway). I would have guessed it's so much more work than anticipated, and am looking forward to the finals.

Kadri

My scene was unoptimised so much you can think about it.
Choosing a viewpoint and making a test render was really hard.
On my machine at least. Good to know that other scenes were heavy too :)

So yeah it is mostly humour from my aspect here too as i got the new Terragen version really fast anyway.

Oshyan

Thanks for the understanding and support guys. Hopefully the "real" prize of Terragen versions was enough for the time being. ;)

- Oshyan

Dune

It is. If I look back a few years, there's a tremendous improvement and richness in features. Hat off for you guys!

Hannes

Indeed thanks a lot to you, Matt and Oshyan!! And yes, we're teasing!
If it's true, that Planetside is more or less the two of you, and I can say that I met with 50% of the whole Planetside crew face to face, which makes a total of one, I'd say, no, we're not complaining! ;D ;D ;D

My hats (all of them) off to you as well!

DannyG

Quote from: zaxxon on January 04, 2018, 10:49:17 AM
The promised 3D Magazine article with interviews and published images was less than successful, but probably beyond Planetside's control

This certainly was out of Planetside's hands. This like a few other prizes were arranged by me, unfortunately I didn't learn my lesson with 3DAD when he didn't meet his end of the agreed coverage for Iceland. Not sure if you guys even remember those quickie Q&As. Not what we agreed on that's for sure. It doesn't look good for his business that's for sure, I am sure we are not the only group they missed deliverables. Too Bad
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

zaxxon

Thanks for that insight Danny. Also, a big thank you for getting a great lineup of prizes (again)!

DannyG

Quote from: zaxxon on January 10, 2018, 08:38:30 PM
Thanks for that insight Danny. Also, a big thank you for getting a great lineup of prizes (again)!

Clarify - The bulk of the prizes were all Planetside, I only wrangled 3dad and Quadspinner. 
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Hannes

May I humbly ask, if there is something new to show? It's been two and a half years now, and I'd truly love to see, what all the contestants created. It doesn't have to be in ultra high resolution.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on November 18, 2018, 07:43:56 AM
May I humbly ask, if there is something new to show? It's been two and a half years now, and I'd truly love to see, what all the contestants created. It doesn't have to be in ultra high resolution.

Echo
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DannyG

If it will help in anyway we have the 360 gallery on NWDA that I am willing to donate. Let us know
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com