Glen'coe'

Started by Dune, August 16, 2016, 01:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Yeah, I thought about a stream, but didn't do it. The problem with the erosion shader is still that it doesn't exactly follow the lower areas. I'd love to be able to do a 'soft' (adjustable) erosion, where a mask can be produced that follows the lowest points from high to low. I used his shader here, but only for the gully mask and the wear mask (for the rocky outcrops), not for real erosion, so it wasn't in line, but sidelined. Some seeds produced gullies going across bulges in the terrain, so that was no good.
Anyway; update. Some seeds further and another area, also added a global cloud, but even with default settings there's grain in one cloud. I left the gullies out now.

mhaze

Yeah, I've had the graininess problem too - had to use insane settings to get rid of it!

Dune

That's one thing I don't like about the new clouds; they are slow. Magnificent, but slow, and I am a very inpatient person  ;)

DocCharly65

The second one is again a "classic Dune" - absolutely marvelous!
I am really not a passionate walker but here I 'd spend an afternoon to explore the region   :)

I didn't use the erosion shader for a long time. Last time I got the message "test period expired" and I didn't care about any more. I'll have to check if it works in TG4 again or if I find the "full version" on NWDA.

The clouds are really extremely slow and have some other little issues. But Oshyan already told me in another post that they are working on improving the performance.

Dune

Yes, you get that notification, but it works nonetheless. Just copied it to the plugins folder of the alpha or beta TG.

DocCharly65

Good news and important information. Thanks Ulco!

Dune

I've made a new setup, this time with a track going down the valley; this is the first reasonable render. Trying to do as much as possible to speed up rendering with just one compute normal node patch 20. No soft shadows yet. V2 clouds, so this render was done in 30mins. Next will be  a test with V3 clouds, with copied settings, though I immediately notice that I have to change settings to get kind of the same effect.
Used Daniil's erosion shader indirectly again to get a wear area mask for rocky outcrops (not that it is logical, but it yielded a better mask than just a PF), and a flowmap to create some gully-like displacements in the slopes.

AP

I am very much liking this last render. The colors look very nice and the mossy surfaces. Very much Scotland.

I hope we see more updates to the Erosion Shader soon.

Dune

Daniil is working on it, but this version is very useful already. You can do a lot with it using it plainly, and with a little imagination and experimentation even more.

AP

The current version?

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Dune

@AP: you don't have it? Check this thread, it's probably there: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20752.0.html

Update, with a little Easy Paint added.

Hannes

Beautiful, Ulco! Very painterly.

ajcgi

This is really beautiful. Painterly indeed. One of my favourite words that!
The erosion shader can be blended and faded in and out, being connected to the child of a distribution shader, but I get what you mean. It's still an approximation of erosion rather than an actual simulation of it.

Dune

I used a soft SSS circle with a decreased color grey to mask the blending/masking of the shader, but didn't connect the output of the erosion shader back to the main line, but diversed the scalar to blue/red/green nodes through color adjusts to mask inputs of surface layers doing their thing with their children (so to speak  :P). I have to do some more experiments, as it would be great if the actual terrain would be eroded such that you get nice downward gullies. In the left corner you can see some of the flowmap being displaced down, which is not as the terrain slopes.