Glen'coe'

Started by Dune, August 16, 2016, 01:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Started out after I saw a photo of Glencoe, trying to emulate that effect. Not entirely succesful, hence the hyphens.

masonspappy

Had no idea what Glencoe was until I saw this image, so Googled it.  This seems to be pretty close to many photos posted on the internet

DocCharly65

Quote from: masonspappy on August 16, 2016, 02:54:10 AM
Had no idea what Glencoe was until I saw this image, so Googled it.  This seems to be pretty close to many photos posted on the internet

I could repeat exactly the same story  :D
Very beautiful and authentic image!

DannyG

Oh yeah, love this one big time Ulco
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

luvsmuzik

Once again you have incorporated the features of this program to such perfection. I try and try to achieve similar results and only occasionally succeed.

Surface layers with slope and altitude constraints, or a merge shader linking strata and outcrops?

Like the low cloud layer or height of terrain.

mhaze

I know Glencoe well - this is very close!

Dune

Thanks guys. In that case, Mick, I have to work a bit harder on it  ;)
@luvsmusik: you should try a compute normal (patch 20-50) after the initial terrain, then add a surface layer with slope restiction and a rather large scale PF (100/1000/50) as mask, then add some (normal and lateral) displacements and (again masked by another PF) strata shaders (play with the variables!) as a child. Then a fractal warp. Quite easy to get this kind of terrain then (though I included some masks from Daniil's erosion shader to get the gullies, which I later filled with large rocks). Not even a compute terrain is needed after the fractal warp, for speed of rendering. Then some layers of ground colors.

zaxxon

Beautiful. The rock work is sublime and the atmosphere is evocative. The history of Glencoe only adds to the somber beauty and whether intended or not the image's misted landscape seems appropriate. For fans of "The Game of Thrones" the Glencoe Massacre served as the basis for the "Blood Wedding" episode. As my last name is Campbell, many folks named MacDonald and McKenzie have given me a bit of humored comeuppance over the years. Great image Ulco!

Kadri

I like it. Especially the left side.

Urantia Jerry

I love this image.  It reminds me of many of the scenes I have tried to create.  Almost like coming home again - kind of  : )

masonspappy

Quote from: Dune on August 16, 2016, 11:21:48 AM
... you should try a compute normal (patch 20-50) after the initial terrain, then add a surface layer with slope restiction and a rather large scale PF (100/1000/50) as mask, then add some (normal and lateral) displacements and (again masked by another PF) strata shaders (play with the variables!) as a child. Then a fractal warp....

Know how he feels....

mhaze

All it needs is a stream in the gully bed ;)

Artice-3d

I like so much mountain formations and colors and atmosphere.. Amazing image!  ;) ;D

luvsmuzik

@ Masonpappy.....about ready to set camera path around circle SSS and let animation begin, LOL. How did I ever figure out  script animation?