Rock

Started by AP, August 21, 2016, 06:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Ten different types of rock. Based on current experiments.

bobbystahr

Quote from: AP on August 21, 2016, 06:23:29 PM
Ten different types of rock. Based on current experiments.

An embaeassment of riches with rocks today. I also uploaded a link to 10 .obj rocks over at renderosity, heh heh...then I noticed this and now I have 20 new rocks.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AP

One can never have enough rock.

masonspappy

Nice collection. Thanks!

AP

You are welcome. Hopefully what is there allows room for much experimentation. I still have it in mind to share the one hundred or so functions, hopefully that will follow soon.

luvsmuzik

I will ask here because it is shared here. I have no problem adding a single rock from this share. How would one make a population from this? I tried to import my own sphere to use for a population and attach a modified clip version (starting with everything but the original sphere) as displacement function to default shader but for me it is not working.  I also tried the TG rock population. My clip distorts a fake stone shader but does not replicate your displacement.

Oshyan

As far as I know these are using Fake Stones or other Displacement, they are not *objects*. Only objects can be populated. So the answer is you can't populate these rock shader networks.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on December 04, 2016, 08:32:30 PM
As far as I know these are using Fake Stones or other Displacement, they are not *objects*. Only objects can be populated. So the answer is you can't populate these rock shader networks.

- Oshyan

I opened one in note pad and saw Sphere, will take it to my tg computer and check it out

rock 1 is a sphere...so all likely are and Spheres can't be populated

but the ones I uploaded are all .objs so can be populated.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

Yes, it's a pity native rocks cannot be populated. Why? :(

They offer great variety and can make for good rocks in a "standalone" mode. Much better than the "rock" native object if you ask me...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

luvsmuzik

These files are wonderful examples of displacement. I shall study that part, at least. But they sure would be nice in a population. ;D

Thanks @ Bobby Stahr for checking that. I can make an imported sphere population. Would the proper way to make a clip of just the displacement be to box select the nodes, all but the sphere? I tried that, but in a population I do not get much but something resembling a sputnick.

Oshyan

You can't populate native *displaceable* objects of any kind (including rocks). That's the limitation. It's related to the overall issue with ray tracing of displacement, I believe.

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

Thank you Oshyan for the final answer. A patient person with TG creative or Pro could add these at their leisure. Wonderful share regardless!

AP

When I built these rocks, they were more meant to be hero rocks. It is a shame they can not be populated, perhaps someday. I am working on a number of Fake stone shaders so those will cover an entire planet in this case. I want to provide at least twenty or thirty different types of stones. I am halfway finished as of current.

Matt

Quote from: Oshyan on December 05, 2016, 09:42:10 PM
You can't populate native *displaceable* objects of any kind (including rocks). That's the limitation. It's related to the overall issue with ray tracing of displacement, I believe.

- Oshyan

You can populate the built-in Rock object because it's one of the populatable types, not the fully displaceable type. But if you're building rocks from built-in spheres, they can't be populated yet.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.