GLorius Saturday - WIP

Started by masonspappy, September 10, 2016, 10:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Upon 2nd look I am compelled to ask...what's the story with the glass globe on a stand there?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DocCharly65

It's really good now! I love it  :)

... ok in very small letters: In fact perhaps a little work on the leaves? Please?

masonspappy

@ Dune and Doc Charlie, yeah, leaves need some work.  I know what the problem is: origin point of a leaf object will locate to the highest point of the surface directly beneath it.   That, coupled with the fact that the leaf will remain horizontal instead of following the slope of the ground, leads to the floating effect.  Still trying to figure out how to fix something like that.    :(

Dune

You can't really, only get quite close. You need to have a compute normal or compute terrain at the end of the line where the leaves pop sit on, with a very small patch size, less than the default meter. Maybe even 0.05m or so. You can then even try rotation, and every leaf should sit on the smallest bumps and rotate with its angle. You could try something olike this in a clean setup, just with some ground displacement and the leaves.

masonspappy

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 17, 2016, 08:59:37 AM
Upon 2nd look I am compelled to ask...what's the story with the glass globe on a stand there?

well, the metal arbor and orrery are modeled after the ones my wife put in our backyard (see image below) as decorative pieces.  Her former boss-lady had a glass globe in her back yard and I wondered how it might look if I modeled all three items and put them in a single picture. 

archonforest

Quote from: masonspappy on September 18, 2016, 02:13:40 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on September 17, 2016, 08:59:37 AM
well, the metal arbor and orrery are modeled after the ones my wife put in our backyard (see image below) as decorative pieces.  Her former boss-lady had a glass globe in her back yard and I wondered how it might look if I modeled all three items and put them in a single picture.

Seems like you got some nice neighborhood(forest) there!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

DocCharly65

A nice garden and little forest!

(at first glance I thought it's a render (quite tired at the moment and you can never be sure in this forum  ;D ;)  )

bobbystahr

"Her former boss-lady had a glass globe in her back yard and I wondered how it might look if I modeled all three items and put them in a single picture. "

Cool...was a mystery but as it reproduces...all is good...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

masonspappy

Quote from: DocCharly65 on September 18, 2016, 05:29:37 PM
(at first glance I thought it's a render (quite tired at the moment and you can never be sure in this forum  ;D ;)  )

Doc, if I ever get that good I will hang out my own Terragen Consulting Shingle.

DocCharly65

Quote from: masonspappy on September 21, 2016, 04:22:24 PM
Quote from: DocCharly65 on September 18, 2016, 05:29:37 PM

Doc, if I ever get that good I will hang out my own Terragen Consulting Shingle.

Dito!  ;D

masonspappy

So, one more time.  Using 6 leaf populations at various angles to get that 'scattered look' to overcome the floating leaf problem.

bobbystahr

Quote from: masonspappy on September 23, 2016, 02:37:24 PM
So, one more time.  Using 6 leaf populations at various angles to get that 'scattered look' to overcome the floating leaf problem.

That indeed works...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

luvsmuzik

Since you have six populations, would shadows off on a couple of them decrease the floating look also? I love this image, excellent composition.

Dune

That was indeed a very minor thing I noticed too, but didn't want to harass again  :P But you're right. What would be helping is decrease opacity of each leaf to 0.501. Makes the shadows much lighter. Don't save them as such as objects though (I'll warn again).