looking at the twitter feed

Started by bobbystahr, October 13, 2016, 09:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

Quote from: Oshyan on December 08, 2016, 03:26:06 AM
The "snow" is clouds...
https://twitter.com/terragen/status/806625957058445312

- Oshyan

I tried that once but I only could get it to work(more or less) on a flat plain. :-\ Clouds seem to be ideal for making snow because they have so much in common, unfortunately you can't add specularity to clouds (isn't it?)

Dune

You could pop in another cloud layer, lower quality and density and increase the color to 2 or so, you could get some sort of sparkling effect.

Kadri

Quote from: Oshyan on December 08, 2016, 03:26:06 AM
You might also be interested to know that our holiday sale image was rendered using the in-development path tracer. The "snow" is clouds... :D
https://twitter.com/terragen/status/806625957058445312

- Oshyan

That looks nice. Curious, any chance to see the difference with a render from TG4 without the path tracer Oshyan?

Hannes

This is indeed mighty interesting!!!!

Dune

You're always in for a treat with Matt at the steering wheel  :o

Upon Infinity

Any substantial difference between path-tracing and ray-tracing?  They sound quite a bit like the same thing.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Upon Infinity on December 08, 2016, 10:25:08 AM
Any substantial difference between path-tracing and ray-tracing?  They sound quite a bit like the same thing.

found this article online which helps understanding both conceptd
http://home.lagoa.com/2014/04/ray-tracing-vs-path-tracing-in-plain-english/
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Interesting, but I hope the path tracing isn't going to slow down a render too much, compared to ray traced renders....

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 08, 2016, 12:00:26 PM
Interesting, but I hope the path tracing isn't going to slow down a render too much, compared to ray traced renders....

My thought eggs ackley
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Matt

Quote from: Dune on December 08, 2016, 12:00:26 PM

One of the key realisations I've had is this: if you're already rendering with very high anti-aliasing, you're already half way towards being able to path trace (brute force GI) without necessarily adding more noise.

Some of the best vegetation renders use AA of 10 or more. At this level you're getting into the territory of hundreds of samples per pixel. If the renderer then chooses to bounce some(*) of those rays off into the scene to pickup GI it might double the render time but you're rewarded with crisply detailed multi-bounce GI. At AA16 it can look incredibly good. If you only render at lower AA around 2 to 6, path tracing will be noisy so you won't want it for final renders. But I'll let you choose whether to use path traced GI or not.

(*) how many rays and where... this is where the art meets the science.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Well that certainly explained a lot, thanks Matt...having the choice will be handy if not necessary.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

KyL

Quote from: Matt on December 08, 2016, 02:36:17 PM

One of the key realisations I've had is this: if you're already rendering with very high anti-aliasing, you're already half way towards being able to path trace (brute force GI) without necessarily adding more noise.

Some of the best vegetation renders use AA of 10 or more. At this level you're getting into the territory of hundreds of samples per pixel. If the renderer then chooses to bounce some(*) of those rays off into the scene to pickup GI it might double the render time but you're rewarded with crisply detailed multi-bounce GI. At AA16 it can look incredibly good. If you only render at lower AA around 2 to 6, path tracing will be noisy so you won't want it for final renders. But I'll let you choose whether to use path traced GI or not.

(*) how many rays and where... this is where the art meets the science.

Matt

This looks extremely promising!

It might be too early to ask but what about the shaders? Would you still be able to "update" the default shader or would this require a complete rework?

Oshyan

Matt may get your question, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean about updating the default shader.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on December 08, 2016, 06:27:25 PM
Matt may get your question, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean about updating the default shader.

- Oshyan

That might be in reference to hannes recent post about using one texture map for multiple parts and the automation of sorts of this.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Matt

Quote from: KyL on December 08, 2016, 05:47:52 PM
This looks extremely promising!

It might be too early to ask but what about the shaders? Would you still be able to "update" the default shader or would this require a complete rework?

All existing shaders will be made to work with new rendering modes, with almost no changes needed from the user. Specular/reflectivity settings in the Default Shader are automatically used to control glossy reflections in the path tracer.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.