Mission to Mars

Started by René, November 14, 2016, 08:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Dune

I think it's looking really good, and I know it's hard!

Kadri

If you still want to do them as in the photos i can understand why you are still working on it.
But the last ones are the closest i saw done with Terragen. Great work René.

Oshyan

Unfortunately for us, nature is never a "no brainer". ;) But I think you are getting very close, and it would not be a bad thing to try to create a sort of "summary of work so far" scene which is as good and Mars-like as you can currently achieve. Then save all your work and put it aside for other things for a while and see if you have more ideas when you revisit it in the future.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

This is the very mind blowing best terrain modeling I've ever seen of Mars...just as I remember it from my visit, heh heh heh
Really well done René  *****
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

René

Quote from: Oshyan on January 13, 2017, 05:52:51 PM
Unfortunately for us, nature is never a "no brainer". ;) But I think you are getting very close, and it would not be a bad thing to try to create a sort of "summary of work so far" scene which is as good and Mars-like as you can currently achieve. Then save all your work and put it aside for other things for a while and see if you have more ideas when you revisit it in the future.

- Oshyan

I think thats exactly what I am going to do Oshyan; I work too long on scenes anyway and eventually I get lost.

René

Quote from: Kadri on January 13, 2017, 08:54:36 AM

If you still want to do them as in the photos i can understand why you are still working on it.
But the last ones are the closest i saw done with Terragen. Great work René.
Thanks Kadri, yes I still want it to be as in the photos but I also want to spice it op a little.

mhaze

Just seen the latest updates, one word, WOW!

René

Latest Mars renders.

luvsmuzik

Great! sand is awesome as well as terrain!

Dune

Great! Especially the sandshape variety is very nice.

Ethrieltd

Quote from: René on November 14, 2016, 09:58:07 AM

It's supposed to be based on reality.  ;)  There are a lot f things  that need work: the colours, the atmosphere etc. It's procedural so it's no actual place on Mars.

These are some pictures i use for reference. It's hard to find images that show the 'real' colours of the Martian atmosphere.

There's these pages with some information about the color and color correction used for the Viking/Pathfinder Mars photographs, and the reasons, plus some photographs taken with the same camera on earth. It's a decent starting point for getting your head round how the Martian atmosphere affects the color balance.

https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4212/ch11-4.html

https://mars.nasa.gov/MPF/science/clouds.html

René

Thanks for the links Ethrieltd. I still haven't decided on the colors but I think I will go for a trade off between 'real' colors and what people think is real.

Oshyan

I just re-watched The Martian and it has some really gorgeous fake-Mars (largely filmed in exotic desert environments, but apparently some Terragen as well), so this is great and inspiring to see. I think both for realism *and* artistic purposes it would be nice to see things darker, more red and saturated. The shapes are great already, but the colors seem a bit too "pastel". At least for my taste. :D

- Oshyan