organising shaders+objects

Started by AlanR, November 26, 2016, 07:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanR

Just a thought, is there any intention to implement a folder structure within terragen in regarding shaders and objects etc, I am building a quite complex terrain, where i am creating a set of animations, each set has changes within them, where I alter the terrain, shaders +objects based on many masks, but it does get complicated, and would be great if i could create folders so differentiate between scenes, a bit like a bin structure in premier, not sure how difficult it would be for you! :)
cheers

bobbystahr

Couldn't this be done with Groups in the Node network. I often organize a project in Group boxes and turn off the stuff I am not using.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AlanR

HI bobbystahr
Yes i guess it could, but i dont tend to work in the node tab, more, load the object apply a distribution shader ( already created) and populate, next object( usually plants), be good to be able to quickly place these objects in a folder and close the hierarchy down when needed
scenorio
loading 10 plants using 1 distribution shader ( name the folder) then load next or same plants, using different distribution shader ( name that folder) etc etc

Oshyan

The hierarchy in the node list on the left has a specific structure that can't be altered without affecting the actual workings of the scene. It's unlikely to change in the near future. It is intended that complex scenes like you describe would be organized using node groups as Bobby suggests. A future "macro" functionality would allow this to work in a more sophisticated way as well, but for now the groups (or using internal node networks) are your best bet for cleaning up and organizing a busy scene diagram.

- Oshyan

AlanR

Thanks Oshyan
here are a couple of images from the project I am working on, it uses 25cm LIDAR and 50m for the distant landscape,

bobbystahr

Quote from: AlanR on November 27, 2016, 08:45:50 PM
Thanks Oshyan
here are a couple of images from the project I am working on, it uses 25cm LIDAR and 50m for the distant landscape,

Cool stuff; have you noticed the Beach Scene Dune is developing...seems the closer the snow the more beach scenes appear heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Thanks for showing some works (the forum is way too void of those, if you ask me). Nice work.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 28, 2016, 02:11:43 AM
Thanks for showing some works (the forum is way too void of those, if you ask me). Nice work.

Oh that hurts...I have so many I wanna render and upload...sigh.  Some of your water effects would really pop these beaches.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AlanR

Water is an area i need to tackle, have some ideas that I would like to try at some point :)

radix

On the subject of organization, is it currently possible to do something like the "dot" feature in nuke?

Cool images btw :D

mhall

@radix ... if you're just looking for something you can use to help organize your Node connection lines, you can use the Null Shader. It's just a pass through that lets you help organize the spider web that is the node view.

Whenever I download a clip file, I usually spend time trying to understand the hierarchy by cleaning up, routing lines with the Null Shader.

Dune

I use that a lot indeed, but you have to remember you can't disable what follows by disabling the null.

radix

Good idea mhall, that'll work, although it still seems clunky compared to the dot feature in nuke.