Rocks, sand, dirt

Started by Martin, December 04, 2016, 11:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Time for a progressive gallery. All fantastic stuff!

Martin

Slowly tweaking them. I usually render 4-5 pictures at once so it takes a while.
Added some space odyssey kind of ufos
Plus a more simple Titan render with normalised displacement and cliffs on big sloped parts
And trying to get interesting results with the Chinese rocks again.

The Titan landscape has some bluish sunset based on the real life blue Martian sunsets
It started as a marsh environment , but I think I'll but some canyons in the mix.
I love the low height base terrain fractal with extreme fractal warps. I get nice organic results.

New monolith renders ,and desert rocks with sand are in progress.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Martin on January 03, 2017, 11:46:32 AM
Slowly tweaking them. I usually render 4-5 pictures at once so it takes a while.

Awesome machine you must have. On hour 26 of a 1920x960 render of my Fake Stone Island scene and it's looking like at least a 36 hour affair. Enjoying the progressions but you're way ahead of me re: TG4 technique so I've not really commented except that I like the stuff you do.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Martin

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 03, 2017, 01:54:22 PM

Awesome machine you must have. On hour 26 of a 1920x960 render of my Fake Stone Island scene and it's looking like at least a 36 hour affair. Enjoying the progressions but you're way ahead of me re: TG4 technique so I've not really commented except that I like the stuff you do.

Oh my, not sure I get that. "On hour 26 of a 1920x960 render" ?
Anyway, thank you:)

Also: I just checked a cliff tgd file that was posted here in the file sharing section. Mind blown. So many different ways to get similar results. My brain hurts trying to understand why to use this and that. (voronoi vector instead of simple voronoi cell etc)
also I just realised that I wasn't using negative displacement recently...no idea why.The Transform input shader is amazing.
I see random text coordinates from xyz at random places, a bit confusing.
Also , I've been using really small displacement as a the fake grass  shader, but I think it's better to use fakestones? Not sure if there's any difference though.

The sin , smooth step etc functions are too scary for me yet.

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on January 03, 2017, 05:49:34 AM

The monolith picture looks great.

Thanks.I like that movie. That simple form looks really sinister on an alien planet kind of environment, and it has an amazing contrast with the natural environment.
So I like using monoliths.

Martin

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 03, 2017, 10:08:43 AM
Time for a progressive gallery. All fantastic stuff!

Is there a gallery part here?

I have a painting gallery on devart, some stuff on pixiv and tumblr,
And a gallery for my zbrush scultprs on cgsociety.

Martin

A few more.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Martin on January 03, 2017, 03:04:03 PM

quote]

I was at that time in the 26th hour of a 1920x960 render...up to the 30th hour now doing the water.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Martin

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 03, 2017, 05:10:43 PM
Quote from: Martin on January 03, 2017, 03:04:03 PM

quote]

I was at that time in the 26th hour of a 1920x960 render...up to the 30th hour now doing the water.

Oh damn, I get it now! It makes sense, sorry, I was a bit tired...
Yeah, I had a 21 hour render yesterday. But oddly, most of these day long renders end up being the weaker ones!

luvsmuzik

Depending on what you want to share, you can add your gallery links to your profile or to each post, I think.

There is a shared file, Dune's grass, and a couple other methods for procedural ground cover. Complex to explain, for me; but I have used and they do work. However, you seem to have the hang of excellent terrain work, so do what works for you. ;D

Martin

Another monolith render.
also I started a completely new cliff scene yesterday night, but I stil have problems with it.The displacement just won't work the way I imagined ugh.
Heres a test render

Martin

And the titan picture with atmosphere.
This new cliff displacement doesn't seem to work right.
The secondary displacement won't show up even with compute normals.

Martin

I think I found the problems with the new cliff displacement. It look s a tiny bit better now.
Some previous renders:

Update:
Aah, I had to switch on the use final normal in the transform input node too. That changed the results completely !

luvsmuzik

Hehe....great stuff, but those clouds in "well it's something" are more to my liking than in the improved displacement one. I like both images, but I really want to dive into those soft thick ones, and I do not think that is what you were going for.
I am not criticizing, just do not want your terrain lost in the mist. Improved ground cover in titan, like the small stones added!