Tex coords node and vertical displacements

Started by sboerner, January 02, 2017, 03:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

Happy new year, everyone.

I have a question about the Tex Coords from XYZ node, just want to make sure that I am using it correctly here.

The idea is to model a mountain form common in the American Southwest and other parts of the world, with a central massif above a base with some eroded material such as a talus. The central part has a definite peak or edge, so this isn't a mesa or butte. (Apologies to any geologists if I'm not using the right terminology.)

This scene needs some tweaks but I think I'm getting close. No shading or foliage yet . . . I'm just interested in the underlying geometry for now.

[attach=1]

The network uses two alpine fractals to build the shapes, with the second on top of the first. The base of the second is driven by a mask defined by the minimum altitude setting of a distribution shader.

In order for this to work I had to insert a tex coords node immediately before the second alpine fractal. I assume this is because the current terrain displacement needs to be calculated before the base of the second alpine fractal can be defined.

[attach=2]

Compute terrain and compute normal nodes work here as well, but they include horizontal displacements. I only need vertical displacements so the tex coords node seemed to be the way to go. And it's way faster besides.

The beauty part of this is that the central massif and talus can be defined separately. And the deposition settings of the alpine fractal give you a lot of control over the amount of erosion in the talus.

How does this measure up in terms of best practices? Is the tex coords node doing what I think it's doing? Is there a better way to build these shapes?

Dune

I don't think there's a better way, but there are other ways, but I doubt if they are better. There's also the possibility to use the displacement to scalar from a displaced base terrain and adjust the colors to get different layers to displace again (by displacement shader, or surface shader), and add different displacements to those layers. But this is looking very good and efficient, IMHO. The XYZ is very handy and cheap indeed!
Did you check out Daniil's erosion shader? That might be handy for your setup for some additional erosion perhaps.

sboerner

Thanks, Ulco. There are some improvements I'd like to make to this setup, mostly to allow more control over the profile of the central peak. I'll play around with it a bit more.

I took a look at the thread re: Daniil's erosion shader. It looks amazing, but unfortunately I'm on a Mac. Guess I'll just have to wait.

Dune

You can also smooth above a certain altitude (it'll bring down the whole mountain to zero (unless a XYZ or compute has been used)), and redisplace again by another fractal. Surface shaders are very useful for that. Breakup is handy too.