Materials

Started by Hannes, January 11, 2017, 11:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on April 02, 2019, 10:30:57 AM
Well, I used Zamazar to convert rar to zip now. Usually rar's open fine at my end (winrar), so it must be an odd one  ;)

Brilliant. I've bookmarked that and will go there next time I have a difficult anything needing conversion to anything else....seems to do it all.
Thanks for the tip man...Can't believe it's been around since 2006 and I'd not found it yet!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

David

Hi everyone, I'm a TG newbie and am looking for some help understanding shaders, please. I want to shade a metal object but am finding that my Substance Painter maps don't seem to work in TG - or am I doing something wrong? Any help greatly appreciated including the basics of inserting tgc's into the pipeline. Thanks.

WAS

Quote from: David on August 18, 2019, 05:49:12 PMHi everyone, I'm a TG newbie and am looking for some help understanding shaders, please. I want to shade a metal object but am finding that my Substance Painter maps don't seem to work in TG - or am I doing something wrong? Any help greatly appreciated including the basics of inserting tgc's into the pipeline. Thanks.

Hey, David. That's a good question. Have a look at this topic by Matt: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26668.0.html and https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26658.msg265834.html#msg265834

Others, and my self were having issues with this as well and Matt chimed in with how to setup TG for PBR materials and the Path Tracer renderer.

David

Thanks WASasquatch! That's really helpful, TG is second only to the Cretan Labyrinth - thank you for throwing that ball of string!

Hannes

Here is a subsurface scattering skin shader for the latest release (4.4.40), that should work on every real world scaled head.
There are two image map shaders included: one for the skin texture (if you want to use your own texture, set the density colour of the glass shader to white and connect the image map shader to the volume colour function). If not, you can delete the image map shader.
The other one is for a displacement (or bump-) map. It should go into the surface layer's displacement slot, since the glass shader has no displacement function. The surface layer has "Apply colour" unchecked and is only the carrier for the displacement. I think it's more versatile than just adding a displacement shader after the glass shader.
Of course you need to use the path tracer!!

KlausK

Thanks a lot, Hannes.
After all the posts about how-to or not to setup this SSS I was actually hoping one of planetsides staff would release a example.
A good starting point to go on ones own SSS journey. Much appreciated!
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Hannes

The image looked OK on my screen at home, but on my phone it looks a little red, so adjust the density colour if needed, if you don't use a texture.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on October 22, 2019, 05:43:58 AMHere is a subsurface scattering skin shader for the latest release (4.4.40), that should work on every real world scaled head.
There are two image map shaders included: one for the skin texture (if you want to use your own texture, set the density colour of the glass shader to white and connect the image map shader to the volume colour function). If not, you can delete the image map shader.
The other one is for a displacement (or bump-) map. It should go into the surface layer's displacement slot, since the glass shader has no displacement function. The surface layer has "Apply colour" unchecked and is only the carrier for the displacement. I think it's more versatile than just adding a displacement shader after the glass shader.
Of course you need to use the path tracer!!

Oh thanks, only after I recreated a shader based on your image in the other thread. :P Going to compare (already different setup)

Matt

Quote from: Hannes on October 22, 2019, 05:43:58 AMHere is a subsurface scattering skin shader for the latest release (4.4.40), that should work on every real world scaled head.

With this setup - and any other Glass Shader SSS setup - if you need to use it on an object that's scaled differently then you only need to change one parameter: "Decay distance".
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

AP

A Dense Ice material.

Note: The shaders need some more adjustments for realism, optimizations and also the render settings need to be optimized.

Hannes

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

pixelpusher636

Quote from: Hannes on January 12, 2017, 03:35:51 AMCool, Fleetwood!!  :)
Yes, sticky would be great. At the moment I am thinking how this could be organised. Some sort of a library, where everyone can contribute and find materials easily.

Btw, I just wanted to mention that my reference object has about the same size like Fleetwood's. Makes things easier.

even the human props you dropped in look amazing Hannes  
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.