Jungle Drive

Started by bobbystahr, January 16, 2017, 01:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 18, 2017, 09:08:44 PM
I'm using a V2 Cloud with no Density shader for local atmosphere and it's quality is set at 2, should be plenty.

To get this local cloud to be noise free with a strong spotlight, you need a lot more than 2. Try 20. The reason it's noisy is because the light is so intense but limited to such a small volume. With sunlight the clouds don't have to sample anything that focused.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on January 19, 2017, 11:36:09 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on January 18, 2017, 09:08:44 PM
I'm using a V2 Cloud with no Density shader for local atmosphere and it's quality is set at 2, should be plenty.

To get this local cloud to be noise free with a strong spotlight, you need a lot more than 2. Try 20. The reason it's noisy is because the light is so intense but limited to such a small volume. With sunlight the clouds don't have to sample anything that focused.

Matt

noted for when I get back to it. I hadn't tried that much, thanks.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Well I have a bit of the bull dog tenacity in my nature so this A M I loaded her up again and lucked out on the settings I'd originally rendered in, or very close. Also with noisy spotlights no longer a consideration 1 cut the AA in half...speeding up render time for sure.

hour and a half in I noticed the power wires weren't lined up so I cancelled and reset them. Same problem in my last post here if you look at the distant post's wires.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AndyWelder

@ Matt:
QuoteThe reason it's noisy is because the light is so intense but limited to such a small volume.
Thank you for this bit of info on how spotlights tic!
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

bobbystahr

Quote from: AndyWelder on January 20, 2017, 05:13:21 PM
@ Matt:
QuoteThe reason it's noisy is because the light is so intense but limited to such a small volume.

I did a test and 20 samples in the Cloud Ver 2 didn't help at all.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Matt

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 20, 2017, 07:18:45 PM
@ Matt:

Perhaps the noise is coming from a different cloud layer, or even the atmosphere. I would test each layer solo to find out.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on January 20, 2017, 07:29:58 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on January 20, 2017, 07:18:45 PM
@ Matt:

Perhaps the noise is coming from a different cloud layer, or even the atmosphere. I would test each layer solo to find out.

Matt

I set up a naked scene with just a spotlight and a CloudV2 sans Density shader and it only took longer, but was just as noisy. TThe one time they worked really well if you recall, was in that Andy scene I did with the very dense surface cloud/fog effect and I praised you for fixing them and you disabused me of that thought. But that's far too dense for this scene where I want to see what is there...heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Well I rescued this and I think the atmo is a bit different but I like it better as it's day time and you should as now be able to see into the truck cab without adding a light. Rendered in a tad over half the time so that  was a pleasant outcome as well. C&C, as always, welcome.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Way better, Bobby. Sometimes just an invisible card with an appropriate grey as a reflection screen can help light up certain areas. I used it to lighten up the underside of my backlit eagle, which would have been black without.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 21, 2017, 01:50:26 AM
Way better, Bobby. Sometimes just an invisible card with an appropriate grey as a reflection screen can help light up certain areas. I used it to lighten up the underside of my backlit eagle, which would have been black without.

Thanks man, I just got lucky on the truck interior, the sun seems filtered to that spot.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

Improvement indeed, but the truck interior is still to bright for my taste.
Compared to your 11 11 37 final there seems to be no difference at all.
Looks odd somehow.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on January 21, 2017, 11:13:16 AM
Improvement indeed, but the truck interior is still to bright for my taste.
Looks odd somehow.

And yet there is no added light or luminous texture involved...a bit of a mystery but better than too dark. Speed increase was from halved AA and Detail.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on January 21, 2017, 11:13:16 AM

I widened the tire grooves in the road so the tires fit them is the only change, was a minor tweak that got out of hand but came back finally.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

Yes, way better than the previous one!! My favourite question: is GISD checked? Occlusion weight? The lighting looks a bit flat.
But all in all it's a fantastic render. Straight out of a movie! ;)