Yet another Creek

Started by bobbystahr, February 16, 2017, 02:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on February 19, 2017, 11:49:59 AM
Smells like one of the ram stick is faulty there...

There's only 1 a 16 G stick and it had been running fine till the large asset projects started which is why I suspect not enuff RAM...Low asset projects load and render fine though.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 19, 2017, 11:52:48 AM
Quote from: archonforest on February 19, 2017, 11:49:59 AM
Smells like one of the ram stick is faulty there...

There's only 1 a 16 G stick and it had been running fine till the large asset projects started which is why I suspect not enuff RAM...Low asset projects load and render fine though.

It happened several times that I run out of ram but it never crashed the pc. TG did freeze and I got a message that says out of ram but no crash. This is the reason I am  still thinking that something stinks in that chip. It could be only a cell that damaged or something...anyways...

Otherwise just an idea for you for the future. It is better to fill all the banks on your motherboard with smaller chips than get one stick. Like instead of a 16gb stick you get 2x8Gb or 4x4Gb sticks. This can give 10-50 percent performance boost depend on the application. Like one stick runs in single channel mode. 2 sticks runs in dual channel.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

I don't know if a computer circumvents a bad spot on a stick, and it will only crash if that spot needs to be used with higher memory loads, but I can imagine something like that.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 20, 2017, 02:31:22 AM
I don't know if a computer circumvents a bad spot on a stick, and it will only crash if that spot needs to be used with higher memory loads, but I can imagine something like that.

The thing is when he brought the stick it was still packaged, he installed it and ran the mem test and it came back 100%...I maintain I just don't have enough. Also I don't think the vid card would cause a crash unless it was dying and it's practically new still.
Side note, out of curiousity I uninstalled and reinstalled TG4 and except for memory issued\s it's been fine. One BSOD on a huge model that even PoseRay had a hard time with, and a few that quit 1/2 way down and closed the program but 50/50 on crash vs completion
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

It also helps not to have all sorts of software running. I sometimes get crashes when I have TG running (or paused) and open e.g. Photoshop. Probably also some issue with releasing memory.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 20, 2017, 02:50:18 AM
It also helps not to have all sorts of software running. I sometimes get crashes when I have TG running (or paused) and open e.g. Photoshop. Probably also some issue with releasing memory.

yeah, that happened a bit on this dell but everything was on this... I got this confuser for TG so I don't leave anything in the BG when I work. I wish someone who could read error messages wold look at the one I posted in I think the BSOD thread. It probably says what caused it but not in human.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Here's a redo done for testing complexity of the scene. No terrain geometry(seems to have impact) rendered here, under 1/2 hour....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Great use of objects here! All of your object shaders look great!  Is this a closed room or three sided open?

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on February 20, 2017, 09:34:46 AM
Great use of objects here! All of your object shaders look great!  Is this a closed room or three sided open?
just a box with a window...was originally a stained glass experiment.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

woo hoo, I managed to get to him on FaceBook messenger...soon I hope
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New