More Columnar

Started by luvsmuzik, June 27, 2017, 12:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Quote from: N-drju on October 12, 2018, 02:31:22 PM
Nice job luvs with these rocks. I'm only starting to learn these features now. :) I believe soft shadows should help. Currently, I am rendering an image with small (2 - 3 meters) terrain bumps and they cast well-blurred shadows with diameter being set to 0.7. You may try it.

This render....soft shadows 2diameter and 18samples .,...increase render time.....5 minutes
Edit Hmmm......before jpg conversion I could see much lighter shadows ...Well maybe it is okay, my preview was at 60%, LOL

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 12, 2018, 02:51:17 PM
Quote from: luvsmuzik on October 12, 2018, 10:58:02 AM
This one really is path traced now. Evidently the change in Ray detail modifier from 0.25 to 1 along with enhance displacement of surface layer made a great difference also. ?
The ground populations of rocks looks really nice over the grass/veggie ground cover. The plant population looks a bit too saturation, though I think that may be from sharpening  + sun angle directly on them. Nice cliffs as well.

Thanks!  That tree is so dense....it is a preset tgo with Creative purchase....

I shall have to doctor the warmth of the rocks in the surface layer colors I think....Its okay, I just like warmer tones

Dune

Yes, with soft shadows that wide you see a difference alright, but I don't think that's really natural. I believe Matt once said that 0.5 is mathematically the best diameter. But the shadows are still pretty dark. With some cloud or just cirrus or an extra light source you may lighten that up.

But it's a really nice render anyway, mind you  ;)

bobbystahr

Well your experiments whetted my whistle and I started messing with this last nite...be a while before I post a render due to a slow DELL doing the work but big thanks to mhaze for his share, certainly a lot to explore here. Nice work what you've done and I'll continue following this.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Yeah, I'm confused why the shadows seem so dark as well. Huh.

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

It is probably the angle of the sun. I changed the scale of displacement, which created some ripples in the columnar face.  I suppose the sun hits just right to make deeper shadows ....

luvsmuzik

Different POV robust path tracing

luvsmuzik

mhaze Rock Study columnar noise
path trace MPD 0,6 AA6
2 hr 15 min render time

masonspappy grass from File Sharing
mhaze fake stones
cloud setup mhaze

Antoine

Very nice scene !

QuoteYeah, I'm confused why the shadows seem so dark as well

When using path tracing, I have noted that there is a bigger contrast between sun and shadows which often look too dark. To remedy this I set the power of the sun from 5 to between 3 and 4, and I raise up the exposure slider a little until shadows are looking good enough.

David

WAS

You might try playing with slope/alt limited Fake stones at about 75-150m with a density of about 1, a tallness of about 2.

You might like the ridgy/columny effects. I'll release a testfile here soon.

Quote from: luvsmuzik on October 14, 2018, 06:52:54 PM
mhaze Rock Study columnar noise
path trace MPD 0,6 AA6
2 hr 15 min render time

masonspappy grass from File Sharing
mhaze fake stones
cloud setup mhaze

That grass is nice, it looks like it's being swept by a wind heading for the cliff face.

RichTwo

You have progressed quite a bit since you first started by adding strata and crack details.  What I do on my images of this kind  is amp up the Enviro Light to 2 - 2.5 to bring out the details in the shadows.  It makes a huge amount of difference.
They're all wasted!

WAS

Quote from: Rich2 on October 16, 2018, 05:10:12 PM
You have progressed quite a bit since you first started by adding strata and crack details.  What I do on my images of this kind  is amp up the Enviro Light to 2 - 2.5 to bring out the details in the shadows.  It makes a huge amount of difference.

Not very realistic. You would probably get more realistic results with better texture variation between darks and lights. When things are muddled and smooth the shadows will compliment this.

Additionally, rocks have reflection, while it may not be so prominent to the naked eye.

I use a reflection at 0.5 intensity, with a specular of 0.05-0.1 with a spread of 0.2-0.3 and a index of refraction of 1.12. No ray tracing, but that's due to previewing really. In a final it could add a level of realism, especially with Path Tracing I imagine.

bobbystahr

It's the path trace rendering that's making a lot of the beauty bits happen 'specially in the grass.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

René

The rocks in the latter look great, but the foreground colors are too saturated to my taste. All in all good work! :)

Oshyan

Enviro Light strength also doesn't have an effect in the path tracer currently, as far as I know.

- Oshyan

DocCharly65

In fact a bit high saturation and the high cirrus clouds look a bit strange and stretched. But all in all a nice scene.