Windstream

Started by Lucio, September 15, 2007, 07:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucio

Quote from: Kevin F on September 16, 2007, 01:38:59 PM
The clouds and landscape are amazing, but can nobody else see the banding in the sky?
Kevin.

Well, I can see the bands very clearly. I attributed the cause to the bad old monitor I'm using now, the other I have blew out a week ago.

Will: I didn't noticed you blurred them because your postprocessed version was quite dark

Volker Harun

Good work!
You could use your Layer 1-imagemap and with each higher cloud-layer decrease the edge sharpness ... this could be nice.

sjefen

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Lucio

Here's an attempt to improve the work

I've re-rendered the ice parts with higher GI to get a better appearance and linked them to the original image with post, added a little glow somewhere over the clouds and tried to remove the banding in the sky. I'll try to re-render clouds with improved details and see what happens

Regards,

Lucio

dhavalmistry

amazing man.....no words....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

BPauba

I hope you don't mind, I brought it into photoshop and had fun for about 30-45 minutes!

If you would like the .psd I am more than happy to give it to you, since you are indeed the original creator of the work :D.

EDIT: I had a color filter switched off, so the colors were a bit off... Updated image.

dhavalmistry

nice alternative......
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

BPauba, this is very nice at the top, but I like the ice at the bottom on the original.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

BPauba

Quote from: calico on September 18, 2007, 04:28:52 PM
BPauba, this is very nice at the top, but I like the ice at the bottom on the original.

The ice was nice, but compositionally I do not think it works. It really catches the eye and struggles with the top of the mountain for the focal point, so that was the reasoning behind taking it out. :D

Lucio

Hi PBauba, I can't see if you have attached an image or what.. I only see your post! Can you send it in a private message or via mail? Thanks :)

bigben

Hi Lucio.

I have been playing with cloud masking on and off and was going to start on a similar project with the alps. Even the landsat data for the area still has orograhic clouds along one side of aridge through a significant portion of the image. The main problem I find is that as soon as you start masking the cloud fractal you run into problems with the edges smoothing out too much.

My next set of experiments in this area were twofold: 1) play around with order of nodes using blending shaders. e.g. fractal blends image or image blends fractal..  there are differences in the outcome but I haven't done enough testing to fully grasp it yet... 2) breaking up up the non-white/black portions of the image map output (i.e. after anti-aliasing and colour adjustments) with a fractal noise. Sounds simple enough, although the interactions betwen the two sets of fractals (breakup and cloud) complicate things a bit.

Hope this makes sense... ;)

You're definitely heading in the right direction though  :)

rcallicotte

Thanks for explaining.

Quote from: BPauba on September 18, 2007, 05:44:28 PM
Quote from: calico on September 18, 2007, 04:28:52 PM

The ice was nice, but compositionally I do not think it works. It really catches the eye and struggles with the top of the mountain for the focal point, so that was the reasoning behind taking it out. :D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Lucio

Quote from: bigben on September 18, 2007, 07:02:09 PM
Hi Lucio.

I have been playing with cloud masking on and off and was going to start on a similar project with the alps. Even the landsat data for the area still has orograhic clouds along one side of aridge through a significant portion of the image. The main problem I find is that as soon as you start masking the cloud fractal you run into problems with the edges smoothing out too much.

My next set of experiments in this area were twofold: 1) play around with order of nodes using blending shaders. e.g. fractal blends image or image blends fractal..  there are differences in the outcome but I haven't done enough testing to fully grasp it yet... 2) breaking up up the non-white/black portions of the image map output (i.e. after anti-aliasing and colour adjustments) with a fractal noise. Sounds simple enough, although the interactions betwen the two sets of fractals (breakup and cloud) complicate things a bit.

Hope this makes sense... ;)

You're definitely heading in the right direction though  :)

This is very interesting bigben, would you like to consider some cooperation? ;D

I must say that I've focused my mask manipulation experiments mainly on Photoshop. Adding fractals in TG2 could be the next step. In fact cloud masking is quite labourious but can give a number of very good possibilities. I'm looking forward for your next works :)

bigben

Two heads are better than one  ;)

I'll have a go tonight at a clip file for breaking up the border of an image map and post that for you to test. I suspect the hardest part will be tweaking the fractal used for the breakup.

I'm guessing that's the Matterhorn. I may have a TER file lying around somewhere I can use ...

Lucio