DirectX 10 for Windows XP

Started by rcallicotte, September 18, 2007, 12:32:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

September 18, 2007, 12:32:44 pm Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 12:40:07 pm by calico
Anyone know the scoop on this? http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Components-Libraries/Alky-DirectX-Compatibility-Libraries.shtml

If this isn't the only thing available, I wonder what might be available.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

zionner

hmm..this is really quite interesting...I dont need it cause i got vista with my PC...but It would be intresting to see how much games wuold benifit from using it...

I personally wouldnt try it..but if someone here dose...tell me what you think!

Oshyan

It's highly unclear whether this is trying to implement DX10 in software (as it seems, thus not taking advantage of DX10 graphics cards and so essentially useless) or whether it will actually work like DX9 but support DX10. If the latter it would be great, but it's still a "preview" and I have doubts it will really make it in the end. Even if it does MS may shut it down. :p

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

@Oshyan - I've wondered the same about what MS might do.  XP is so much more like it's supposed to be for an OS, in my observations, and I'd really like to use DirectX 10.    :P
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Likewise Calico, I'm not a fan of Vista. Nonetheless I did just upgrade to Home Premium x64 on my new quad core system specifically for DX10 games (Crysis!) and for Vista testing of TG2. *sigh*

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

QUAD CORE!!!!....DAMN!!!!!

is TG2 going to be optimized for quad core beasts???
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Oshyan

Quote from: dhavalmistry on September 20, 2007, 03:04:37 pm
QUAD CORE!!!!....DAMN!!!!!

is TG2 going to be optimized for quad core beasts???

Yes, yes it is. I've also got 8GB of RAM and an 8800GTS superclocked. ;D

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

September 20, 2007, 03:41:28 pm #8 Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 03:46:15 pm by dhavalmistry
thats a POWER HUNGRY MONSTER!!!

although, is it wise to get dx10 video card since it is only at testing stage.....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Will

only a 8800gtx? my 12000GXXXT will beat that.

naw I only got a 8800gts :)
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

reck

Quote from: Oshyan on September 20, 2007, 03:27:59 pm


Yes, yes it is. I've also got 8GB of RAM .....
- Oshyan


8GB.....I see your making the best use of your 64bit OS.  ;D




Quote from: dhavalmistry on September 20, 2007, 03:04:37 pm

although, is it wise to get dx10 video card since it is only at testing stage.....


DX10 has gone way past the testing stage, in fact DX10.1 is out soon, if not already. We can also expect the next round of DX10 cards out earlyish next year as well.



Oshyan

Quote from: dhavalmistry on September 20, 2007, 03:41:28 pm
thats a POWER HUNGRY MONSTER!!!

although, is it wise to get dx10 video card since it is only at testing stage.....

It's most certainly not in testing phase, at least not for Vista. There are several games already released (Bioshock and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition) that support it and many more coming soon (Call of Duty 4, Crysis, etc.). See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_10_support
http://www.novatek.com.au/news/confirmed-dx-10-games.html
http://www.tweak3d.net/joomla/news/pc-gaming/directx-10-games

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Oshyan on September 20, 2007, 05:15:19 pm
It's most certainly not in testing phase, at least not for Vista. There are several games already released (Bioshock and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition) that support it and many more coming soon (Call of Duty 4, Crysis, etc.). See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_10_support
http://www.novatek.com.au/news/confirmed-dx-10-games.html
http://www.tweak3d.net/joomla/news/pc-gaming/directx-10-games

- Oshyan


wow....I am slow in this area.....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Ironshirt

September 21, 2007, 02:43:57 am #13 Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 02:45:28 am by Ironshirt
The 'funny' thing is, that Microsoft supports Vista Home (previously called Longface eh Longhorn  ;) ) for only 5 years....
But the support period of Windows XP has been extended up to the year 2014 (round about).
I think Microsoft knows exactly which operating system is the better one. And perhaps DirextX10 will be released offically by Microsoft after enough Vista licenses have been sold... who knows....


dhavalmistry

September 21, 2007, 02:50:12 am #14 Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 02:55:56 am by dhavalmistry
Quote from: Ironshirt on September 21, 2007, 02:43:57 am
The 'funny' thing is, that Microsoft supports Vista Home (previously called Longface eh Longhorn  ;) ) for only 5 years....
But the support period of Windows XP has been extended up to the year 2014 (round about).
I think Microsoft knows exactly which operating system is the better one. And perhaps DirextX10 will be released offically by Microsoft after enough Vista licenses have been sold... who knows....




I think the reason they extended the support of xp is because the gap between vista and xp (almost 5 years) and there are still copies of xp being sold because the fact that vista is relatively new and its gonna take time to gain peoples trust in using new OS.....here is something from wikipedia...."Windows XP was first released on October 25, 2001, and over 400 million copies were in use in January 2006"
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"