Plan for 2018

Started by Matt, January 18, 2018, 03:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Hi Terrageneers!

I hope 2018 is being good to you all so far. I've been semi off-grid for a few weeks (concluding with a brief but wonderful trip to wintry Iceland!) but there is a lot going on at Planetside behind the scenes. So let's talk about what we have planned for 2018!

First off, Planetside is growing. This year we are adding new programmers to the team. Terragen 4 sales have been good so far and I'm reinvesting as much as I can into accelerating development. I'll have more to say about this soon.

Subscription plans will be available as an option, beginning some time in the first half of 2018. Anyone who prefers to buy perpetual licenses (like before) will be able to - we are not taking that option away from anybody. Adding subscriptions is a way to give people a choice. We want our users to have more options to license Terragen in whichever way works best for them. We think that will attract additional customers who might otherwise walk away from the price of a perpetual license, so we predict this will increase the size of our user community and that is going to be better for everybody.

What features and enhancements to Terragen do we have planned for release this year?

* Faster rendering (expected in 4.2)
* Post effect adjustments in Render View without requiring re-render
* LUTs and other post effects
* Various improvements to the 3D Preview, especially the RTP
* Grouping/hierarchy for objects, lights and cameras
* Rotation and scale modulator inputs for populations
* VDB import/export for clouds
* Brute force GI / path tracing

Finally, in the second half of 2018 I want to show you a prototype of a new tool for creating landscapes. I can't say any more yet; you will just have to wait and see! :)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

archonforest

Exciting news!! 8)
No plans for a detailed user guide? ::)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

paq

* VDB import/export for clouds

8) 8) 8)
Gameloft

cyphyr

Congratulations on the expanded workforce.
Looking forward to all the new additions especially ... well all of them :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

mhaze

All good, looking forward to these developments.

KlausK

Sounds promising! Pretty nice improvements feature wise.
But getting more coders onboard is my favourite part of the plan.
Cheers, Klaus.
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Kadri

Sounds good (except subscription, but with perpetual licenses still there no problem for me) :)

bobbystahr

Wow, lotta good stuff there and really good to hear sales are going well enough to add programmers. I had a feeling that was going to happen as no program really does what TG already does so well. A bit disappointed there was no mention of a greyscale transparency update but I am patient...just old. Hope it happens in my lifetime hee hee hee.
Thanks Matt and 2 thumbs up on your vacation to Iceland...I'm sure it was restorative in many ways. And 3 cheers on the path TG's taking....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

zaxxon

Welcome and exciting news.  :)

Hannes

SILENCER

Sounds boss, I'm in.

Heirarchies, that's  a win.
It's all a win.
Any progress on alembic or maybe MDD import?

OldFlak

Hi all :)

This is great to hear.

QuoteSubscription plans will be available as an option, beginning some time in the first half of 2018.
This is good news! However I have been waitng for this to be implemented for some two years now - so I really hope it gets introduced.

There are only two things that have stopped me using Terragen
1) Can't get a decent render for skyboxes for use in game engines - the six renders are slightly different shades so they don't match correctly
2) Waiting for the subscription model.

• On a pension these days and the monetary outlay is out of my reach (still saving) but it is a lot to shell out if I can't get renders to match, since the main purpose of using this kind of tool would not be achievable for me.
  • Now this may be down to my inexperience (most likely) or the limitations of the free version.
  • A subscription model may open up the possibility for me to see if my gaol can be reached :)

Waiting in anticipation :) :)

OldFlak....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

ajcgi

Yes to all of that, Matt ;)
We could really do with the LUT and VDB stuff. That's great news.