Author Topic: 15 miles on the Erie Canal  (Read 9646 times)

Offline sboerner

• Steve Boerner Typography & Design
Re: 15 miles on the Erie Canal
« Reply #255 on: December 30, 2018, 05:32:50 PM »
Thanks all. Only a few models left. I can nearly see the light at the end of the tunnel and have started planning the next landscape, which in some ways will be simpler than this one.

That's my Canada goose model. The mesh took just a couple of hours but then I spent much of the next day working on the texture. Tried painting it by hand but I'm no artist. :P  After a couple of false starts I ended up piecing it together from parts of licensed stock images.

I don't have much experience with modeling and rigging organic shapes and have decided that it's time to change that.

Offline bobbystahr

• Turn, and face the Strange Ch Ch Changes...D Bowie
« Reply #256 on: December 30, 2018, 05:46:09 PM »
Thanks all. Only a few models left. I can nearly see the light at the end of the tunnel and have started planning the next landscape, which in some ways will be simpler than this one.

That's my Canada goose model. The mesh took just a couple of hours but then I spent much of the next day working on the texture. Tried painting it by hand but I'm no artist. :P  After a couple of false starts I ended up piecing it together from parts of licensed stock images.

I don't have much experience with modeling and rigging organic shapes and have decided that it's time to change that.

you could convert that Canada Goose to a Golden Goose by selling it at Danny's NWDA...just a thought.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Offline sboerner

« Reply #257 on: December 30, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »
you could convert that Canada Goose to a Golden Goose by selling it at Danny's NWDA...just a thought.

Thanks, Bobby. I appreciate that you think it might be worthy of NWDA. But the stock-image textures would present a licensing issue, even though they've been modified beyond recognition.

Offline bobbystahr

« Reply #258 on: December 30, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »

Thanks, Bobby. I appreciate that you think it might be worthy of NWDA. But the stock-image textures would present a licensing issue, even though they've been modified beyond recognition.

Riiiight, I wasn't paying attention to that bit.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Offline DocCharly65

« Reply #259 on: December 30, 2018, 07:39:05 PM »
These are great additions. Brings in fact more live there!
Love the picture more and more :)

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #260 on: December 31, 2018, 06:42:03 AM »
You're a terrrific modeler. Birds and animals are hard to do if you don't have a bit of insight in their anatomy and behavior. But texturing is indeed the most time-consuming part. I may have to do some species of ducks in various postures, but I'm not looking forward to it   ::)

Offline bobbystahr

« Reply #261 on: December 31, 2018, 03:09:30 PM »
You're a terrrific modeler. Birds and animals are hard to do if you don't have a bit of insight in their anatomy and behavior. But texturing is indeed the most time-consuming part. I may have to do some species of ducks in various postures, but I'm not looking forward to it   ::)

It's really too bad there isn't a Poser or DAZ for Fauna instead of the dress up dolls they currently market...That'd be really handy.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Offline sboerner

« Reply #262 on: January 01, 2019, 03:10:54 PM »
Thanks, Ulco. So much of modeling involves reflex and muscle memory . . . after several years it is finally becoming second nature so I can perhaps try some things that I've avoided so far. I'm collecting art and anatomical references for humans and animals and hoping that I can learn enough to make good models. Anyway it's interesting to learn.

You have a background in biology as well as visual arts, correct? A useful combination.

It's really too bad there isn't a Poser or DAZ for Fauna instead of the dress up dolls they currently market...That'd be really handy.

That would be handy, agreed.

Offline bobbystahr

« Reply #263 on: January 01, 2019, 03:17:50 PM »

It's really too bad there isn't a Poser of DAZ for Fauna instead of the dress up dolls they currently market...That'd be really handy.

That would be handy, agreed.

I really should look before I leap, DAZ has multiple (6) pages of models

https://www.daz3d.com/animals
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr