15 miles on the Erie Canal

Started by sboerner, January 25, 2018, 11:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

It was theoretical, but I just tested and strangely it doesn't work as I expected. Maybe it's because I tested on an older version of TG (only 32-bit one on this machine). So if anyone can make this to work, it would be handy.

Nice update, btw.

sboerner

Thanks. If I have a chance later today I'll play around with that setup. It oughta work.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

sboerner

QuoteIt was theoretical, but I just tested and strangely it doesn't work as I expected. Maybe it's because I tested on an older version of TG (only 32-bit one on this machine). So if anyone can make this to work, it would be handy.

Your idea works fine here – brilliantly, actually. Thank you so much for posting those screen shots. I misunderstood the role of the transform input shader, but it became very clear once I started working with it. So useful!

I warped the simple shape instead of using a fade. (The fade caused the fake rocks to gradually disappear.) If I need a more irregular edge I can always paint the mask manually.

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

Dune

Glad it worked for you. I have to try the setup in a better TG4 version again, not understanding why the colors faded so much. Perhaps the old transform shader is less 'good' (which is a silly assumption  ::)).

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on March 19, 2018, 11:34:54 PM
QuoteSo useful!

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

Indeed, it was and is one of the most useful shaders that Dune pointed me at as well. It's now part of most of my texture setups...works on clouds as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

otakar

Great project! Super quality renders and of course the modeling. Thanks for sharing!

sboerner

Running some test renderings of Kelvin wake patterns while preparing models of the canal boats and tug that will be needed for the scene.

[attach=1]

The displacement map was made from an image I found online and tweaked in Photoshop. The same image map is piped through two transform input shaders to create the bow and stern wakes. (The transform input shader is quickly becoming one of my workhorse shaders. Thanks again, Ulco.)

Previous forum discussion of Kelvin wakes:

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19721.msg194253.html#msg194253

Good layman's discussion of how they're formed and how to calculate their sizes:

http://www.steelnavy.com/WavePatterns.htm

I would give my eyeteeth for an application to generate Kelvin wake displacement maps. Found a few promising but broken links online for Maya plugins, etc., but not much luck till I stumbled across this:

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/zgreen-wave-patterns-made-by-havelock-sources.36112/

Seems like this might be the answer but (of course) it's DOS only. If anyone knows of a Mac (or Unix) equivalent that would be great.

I'd like to be able to generate arbitrarily sized patterns that could be accurately scaled and still extend a proper distance behind the boat. The speed limit at this time on the canal was 4 mph (to mitigate wake damage to the canal banks), so the transverse waves of the wake pattern should be about 6 feet apart.

Interesting topic – a week ago I'd never heard of Kelvin wake patterns.

sboerner

Thanks! This project just keeps getting more interesting. Much to learn.

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on April 06, 2018, 11:24:20 AM
Thanks! This project just keeps getting more interesting. Much to learn.

We all I feel have, 'Ulco the Transform Disciple' to thank for that. It's in every stack I make nowadays...My previous connection to Kelvin  wake was when I attended Kelvin's Wake a few years back...Live and Learn eh? thanks for the references and by the way, best wake yet
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

That's an extremely nice wake, would you be willing to share? Some generator would be great indeed, as all you need is a simple output in greyscale. 

sboerner

Thanks, no problem sharing. It's a 32-bit exr file. I can post a link.

Pretty easy doing a wake on flatwater with a very slow-moving boat with no prop.  :D  At some point I'll try to add a bow crest.

It looks like the application file in the third link above will generate custom image files, at least as far as I can tell from the documentation. It's been years since I've run a DOS batch file, though, so I don't know how much trouble that might be these days. I'd be curious if anyone wants to try. If it were Unix it would be a snap here.

Dune

Thanks a lot, Steve. Can't one run this .bat file from the dos-prompt?