15 miles on the Erie Canal

Started by sboerner, January 25, 2018, 11:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

Thank you, everyone. Progress has stalled a bit as (real) work has picked up lately and I've been distracted by my plan to build a a set of human figures. Quite a complex process, I've learned.

Here is "man02." Better mesh than before – I'm learning to plan for joint deformation – and I'm getting some practice adding hair in Maya. I think I'm happy with the level of detail – he will never be placed this close to the camera in an actual scene.

This is a standard render. It looks much better with the path tracer, but the eyes use a glass shader and turn black.

Dune

You're getting good at this too!

bobbystahr

Getting good indeed, that skin texturing is really good. Could be improved only by Sub Surface Scattering...maybe we'll get that soon.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

Thanks, guys. Getting there. I'm hoping with practice I'll be able to give the faces a little more character. Each mesh will be used 2-3 times in the scene, so the poses will get a final pass through Mudbox to make them more unique.

DocCharly65

sboerner

Here is the complete figure. In the process of finishing up this fellow I found a couple of small errors in the mesh and rigging. Once those are fixed I'm planning to use this as a base mesh to make a few "canawlers" to populate the boats.

bobbystahr

Wow...way more better than I could ever do..on all counts, modeling and texturing...great period clothing mate...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

sboerner

Thanks, Bobby. I've been looking at lots of old photos over the past few months.

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on May 20, 2019, 10:44:50 AM
I've been looking at lots of old photos over the past few months.

no doubt heh heh, my Dad, born 1897, wore pants much like that with suspenders always...and a belt LOL...don't ask me why.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

sboerner

Belt and suspenders – my kind of guy! Great memories.

CredePendrel

This is amazing sboerner. This is one of the first posts I saw after joining the forum and it just blows me away. Are you still working on this scene?

sboerner

Thank you! Yes, I'm still working on this. Summers are busy here so time has been limited, and I've been occupied with the last batch of models – non-Terragen stuff. Should have more to show in a few weeks.

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on August 01, 2019, 12:36:48 PM
Thank you! Yes, I'm still working on this. Summers are busy here so time has been limited, and I've been occupied with the last batch of models – non-Terragen stuff. Should have more to show in a few weeks.

Big Like
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

CredePendrel

Quote from: sboerner on August 01, 2019, 12:36:48 PM

Awesome! I can't wait! Also, just found out I can read more about this project on the "Dots and Lines" blog!

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"