Anim issue

Started by archonforest, April 30, 2018, 05:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

I am rendering a very short train scene. The rendering stops at frame 33 with a "not enough memory" message. But why? What TG keeps in the memory that grows by each frame? I was thinking each frame is a new cycle and there is no reason why TG would not purge the memory every time a frame is finished. Can someone explain how this works? It sounds interesting.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

luvsmuzik

The two things I would try would be to up the subdivision cache. (probably wrong)

You can also, since you should have a folder with 33 frames already....stop the rendering and then start it again beginning with frame 34....wouldn't hurt to try. I notice that time continues frame to frame. Curious event I agree.

Hannes

There may be several reasons for this behavior, but I'd try to save your scene "render ready", restart your computer, open TG with the scene (nothing else!) and hit render. I had similar issues before with some scenes, and this helped sometimes. But I had to use luvsmuzik's solution as well on some occasions.

archonforest

Okay thx guys. I will try both.

luvsmuzik

When you get that figured out, perhaps you can tell me why my perfect wheel is losing altitude upon rotation,,,,hehehe :) Pretty sure I have origin perfect center...is that wrong?

Oshyan

How much memory do you have? Are you watching Task Manager to see how much is being used?

Increasing the subdiv cache size would be more likely to *cause* such an error.

- Oshyan

archonforest

Quote from: Oshyan on April 30, 2018, 07:34:01 PM
How much memory do you have? Are you watching Task Manager to see how much is being used?

Increasing the subdiv cache size would be more likely to *cause* such an error.

- Oshyan

On this pc I got only 4 gig of ram. I know it is very little but my workstation is busy with something else. Thus I wanted to render on this small machine since it is doing nothing anyways. TG is using the 4 gig pretty much. When it renders the 1st frame the ram is pretty full already. But I do not understand why it cannot render all the frames one by one and why it stops at 33. I am just curious about what is going on under the hood and what is filling up the leftover ram.

luvsmuzik

I too have a 4GIG on hand, but now have a 16GIG also.
I thought of a couple of things that might help.
Just before you are ready to push Render Sequence, in the preview window, hide your objects. Then put your viewport to Terrain. Make sure RTPreview is off also. All of these features really slowed down my unit on a complex scene. If you have a lot of populations, see if using pop cache helps.
I am just giving some hints that may or may not have a thing to do with your problem, but my unit handled TG better doing those things.

archonforest

Thx luvsmusik. I just put another 4g in the pc so it runs better. It will do until my workstation frees up. That got 32g.

Oshyan

Does it *always* stop at 33? It's possible that your machine was so close to its memory limit that some other random process just happened to kick on (a Dropbox sync as one example) and pushed it over the total amount of available RAM at a random time.

If you still want to try to render the whole thing in one go (rather than resuming at 33), I'd suggest first restarting your machine, then load Terragen and your scene file and close the 3D Preview entirely. Ideally before any populating happens, if any. Then go ahead and render. Alternatively (and even better), use the commandline to render and you'll save even more memory.

But I see you now have 8GB so hopefully that will solve the problem anyway. :D

- Oshyan

archonforest

Thx Oshyan. Yes it always stopped at 33. That was the only reason I was asking as it sounded interesting. Otherwise I was just doing a very low res render to see what is going on before it hits my workstation and I thought I can get away with the 4g but looks like I was wrong.

Oshyan

Is it possible there is anything different enough in frame 33 that could increase memory use a bit? You might be surprised what kind of things might use slightly more or less memory to render. In normal circumstances such small shifts aren't worth worrying about, but in a highly memory constrained situation like yours it could make a difference.

- Oshyan

archonforest

it is a possibility since a long train is passing through the scene and frame by frame you see it more and more...hmm... this could be the reason.

luvsmuzik

That is what I was figuring, knowing how many parts those trains have...... :)

archonforest

Last night I let again to render with the 8g inside. Now it stopped at 60. I doubled the memory and got double amount of frames. Now I restarted from frame 61 and the memory usage was 62 percent. Lets see what happens.