Author Topic: Another ocean  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Hannes

• Terragen Alpha Tester (Win)
Re: Another ocean
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2018, 12:56:01 PM »
Late reply: the first thing I learned in CG was: NEVER render out as a video! Always render single frames. Imagine you render a long animation for days, and during the last frame your computer crashes. Everything will be gone. If you render out in single frames, you'll only have to render the last frame.

However, here is another try. I changed some of the displacement settings and reduced the color falloffs to make it look a bit more natural.

Offline DocCharly65

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2018, 06:34:17 PM »
Has almost a hypnic effect on me watching that! Great!

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2018, 06:51:21 AM »
Great update! Very realistic, I believe those movements.

Offline Danny

• New World Digital Art
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2018, 01:32:25 PM »
Impressive update Hannes

Offline WASasquatch

• The Homeless Landscape Artist
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2018, 05:58:42 PM »
This is really well done. Great work! I wonder if there is anyway to combat the ribboning effect and make it stretch out instead of pinch in.
Art can be a window into the soul

Offline bobbystahr

• Turn, and face the Strange Ch Ch Changes...D Bowie
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2018, 01:11:05 PM »
last one is excellent and loops nicely in VLC player
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Offline WASasquatch

• The Homeless Landscape Artist
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2018, 10:55:31 PM »
Late reply: the first thing I learned in CG was: NEVER render out as a video! Always render single frames. Imagine you render a long animation for days, and during the last frame your computer crashes. Everything will be gone. If you render out in single frames, you'll only have to render the last frame.

However, here is another try. I changed some of the displacement settings and reduced the color falloffs to make it look a bit more natural.

To be clear, a per-frame basis is each frame to disk, but than it takes those frames and compiles them for you. From what I understand Terragen outputs TIFF (or archaic BMP), meaning if you don't have a enterprise/commercial software you first need to go in and re-encode every frame before compiling in most available/open-source sequencers. TG handling it itself with it's native TIFF format would be handy. Most software offers this, with the temp frames available.

P.S. Would love to see a ship on these waves, would be a cool test. :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:57:46 PM by WASasquatch »
Art can be a window into the soul

Offline Oshyan

• Planetside Staff
  • Holy snagging ducks!
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2018, 08:53:14 PM »
TIFF is actually super widely supported, it's not "enterprise" at all. I find PNG to actually be less widely supported *in video editing software* than TIFF, probably because PNG is more of a web-oriented format.

We're very unlikely to add any video compression and container output functionality in the future, it's extraneous to what Terragen needs to be good at. I admit it's convenient, but dev time is better focused on core functionality given the many free options for video compression.

- Oshyan

anything