Flexible network

Started by daudvyd, October 23, 2018, 09:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daudvyd

Hi folks. I've been experimenting with manipulating TGD files using Python scripts outside of Terragen and then rendering the result. Can anyone recommend a TGD file or combination of nodes that can produce a particularly wide variety of images? To be clear, I'm not looking for a regular TGD that looks good as is--just one that can produce many types of landscapes. It does not need to be optimized or efficient. I was thinking that networks with many simple shapes as masks might prove interesting. Any thoughts or suggestions?
-da'ud vyd

digitalguru

The Terragen benchmark scene might be good for your tests:

https://planetside.co.uk/terragen-3-benchmark/

Very interested to see what you're doing with Python and Terragen

daudvyd

Thanks! I was not familiar with that scene. It is unlikely that someone is familiar with a TGD file that is not already a finished image. I was hoping for maybe a verbal description of a hypothetical network or combination of nodes that might be able to produce a wide range of results.

RichTwo

Quote from: digitalguru on October 23, 2018, 06:54:19 PM
The Terragen benchmark scene might be good for your tests:

https://planetside.co.uk/terragen-3-benchmark/

Very interested to see what you're doing with Python and Terragen
From what that page says, the benchmark should only be used for TG3.  So if you have 2 or 4, it may not be useful.

They're all wasted!

digitalguru

He's not using it as a benchmark - I suggested it as it has a bit of everything in it for his Python tests

WAS

It can most certainly be used as a base benchmark for your system, jut not for Terragen 4 compared to other systems, especially when not employing it's new features.

But it is pretty "complete" for TG3, and thus, could be useful here.

I think the point of the TG3 benchmark specifically for TG3, was to ensure quality of time across systems. As a 1hr render on one system, and than 12hr (I imagine something like my old netbook lol) on another would, without a doubt, label that system as sub-par.