Pyroclastic smoke column

Started by Hannes, October 26, 2018, 05:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

A setup made up of twelve cloud puffs (localised cloud layers) with differently animated cloud fractal shaders. Nitpicking myself, if you look closely there's a visible (smooth) transition between the puffs.
Nevertheless I like it, but unfortunately it's quite useless unless the smoke source is exactly at 0,0,0.
So this is a good example for the need of grouping things and linking this group to a dummy, which can be positioned anywhere in the scene without having to type in different values for each item.
This would be an incredible improvement.

Dune

DocCharly65

Oh WOW!

Excellent animation - I could never get to work something like this!

Besides are these kinds of tgd's or tgc's I would pay money for on NWDA without reserve.
Some things are just too complicated for blue node-noobs like me.

Oshyan

Doc, that's probably not even using blue nodes...

Hannes, object grouping/parenting/etc. is in the plans for upcoming development, this year or early next...

- Oshyan

Hannes

No blue nodes, and Oshyan, I love to hear that!!!!
Testing some tornado stuff at the moment...

dorianvan

Quote from: Hannes on October 26, 2018, 05:32:18 AM
it's quite useless unless the smoke source is exactly at 0,0,0.
I like it, but could you explain what you mean?
So the pillar could not travel or move positions?
-Dorian

Hannes

Quote from: dorianvan on October 26, 2018, 11:12:15 PM
Quote from: Hannes on October 26, 2018, 05:32:18 AM
it's quite useless unless the smoke source is exactly at 0,0,0.
I like it, but could you explain what you mean?
So the pillar could not travel or move positions?

Sorry, I did not make myself clear. Of course, the whole stuff could be anywhere, but it's useless (at the moment!!! See Oshyan's comment :)), because each and every cloud puff needs to be replaced by hand, and this is quite tedious.

WAS

Wow that's really good so far, billows pretty nicely besids the small blank areas that transition in and out.

Hetzen

Great work Hannes. Love the 4d animation as well as the Y work.

There is possibly a simpler way, in which you define an inverted cone in one cloud layer, then modulate it's extents. ie altitude * scaler = x & z width mask. Maybe throw a little wind in there to shift x and z over altitude.

Hannes

Quote from: Hetzen on October 27, 2018, 09:04:29 PM
Great work Hannes. Love the 4d animation as well as the Y work.

There is possibly a simpler way, in which you define an inverted cone in one cloud layer, then modulate it's extents. ie altitude * scaler = x & z width mask. Maybe throw a little wind in there to shift x and z over altitude.

Thanks, Jon. I thought about that as well (in a much more simple way!!!  ;)). But I guess my way has some more control over the different areas. The upper cloud fractals are animated different (slower) than the lower ones. Also the size is larger in the upper areas.
Nevertheless thanks for the idea!!

Hannes

Here's a twister. 24 cloud layers. All differently animated.
Now I wonder, if it's really possible to animate the fractals like this, when the source of the twister is not at the origin 0,0,0. I'll do a test.

Dune

Cool! I like the guy being swooped up  ;D

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on October 28, 2018, 07:04:39 AM
Cool! I like the guy being swooped up  ;D

Thanks Ulco.  :) I had the idea after 80 rendered frames, so it had to happen afterwards.

By the way, I just did some tests. You can move the puffs to another place, but "Move texture with clouds" has to be checked, otherwise the rotation of the fractal goes wild, because it's far away from the axis.