TG2 Final Release Date

Started by dhavalmistry, October 24, 2007, 04:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhavalmistry

Planetside promised that the final version of TG2 will be by the end of the year 2007 and since we are very close to the end of the year and havent heard anything about the final release date....anyone got any ideas when will it be??....Oshyan??...Jo??...Matt?
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

cyphyr

Hehe I'm sure your not alone in wanting an update on progress towards a final version but I suggest we just continue figuring out what we have at hand now and just let them get on with it. Its an immensely complex job they have set themselves and I'm sure they don't need us "hassling" them for an update every few weeks. Actually its been very quite on that front for a while so I think most people have got the message :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

dhavalmistry

I assure you that I didnt had no such thing in my mind when I posted this msg....this is solely about personal issue that involves TG2

Oshyan

The final release is still scheduled for this year, although of course there is not much time left. We do not have a specific release date but I think it's fair to say we'll be using the remaining time to our advantage as much as possible. We have internal targets and will make a formal announcement as soon as we can do so with assurance that it will be met. For now we remain comitted to the 2007 timeframe.

- Oshyan

sjefen

I'm just a little worried Terragen 2 will be finished in a hurry. It seems to be so far from a finished product to be released this year.
I guess what I'm really saying here is: I won't be mad if Planetside decides to push the release date in to 2008.
If they need more time, I'll be happy to give them more time.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Dark Fire

With no offence intended, I would bet against the 2007 timeframe. Like sjefen, I would prefer that Planetside make a proper job of Terragen 2 - make sure all of the bugs are ironed out and the features are working as they should. Like cyphyr, I think we've got enough to be working out how to best use at the moment, so a 'finished' product is not urgently required. However, the announcement of a release date would certainly give everyone something to prepare for and to look forward to. I think a release near the end of January, like Windows Vista, would be best. However, I'm just me - I'm sure the people who are actually making Terragen would like to make their own plans. I certainly would if I wrote such awesome software! :D

Harvey Birdman

Yeah, I hate to admit it, Dark Fire, but I've been quietly betting against it since last spring. I'm against the announcement of a date, though - I'd prefer (an) interim release(s). I think everyone benefits from that scenario - we get new goodies to play with, and Planetside gets both an indefinite period to polish the product as well as extensive Beta testing. I would point out the speed with which critical bugs were revealed and resolved in the last release as a perfect case in point. And my own experience is that an extended polishing period, even after R&D might call the product 'finished', is never a bad thing. No-one loses.

dhavalmistry

I do not have any objections against pushing the release date into 2008 but all I am saying is as said before people who pre-purchased TG2 might have to put in some more money for the license of the final release and I am kinda running short on money right now (right before Christmas)...the details of whether I need to save some extra bling and how much would make it easy to plan my Christmas....

I am sure you people can understand....still.....no pressure on Planetside staff......

cyphyr

I'm not sure I understand you but  if you have purchased any flavor of Terragen 2, be it "Deep" or "Deep with Animation" are entitled to a FREE ;D upgrade to the final release version upon release. So you don't need to save any money. I'm assuming you've already purchased one of the available versions since it will cost you more to buy the final version when it comes out so er why wait ... go buy it now :)
All explained much better here
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

dhavalmistry

yeah I have purchased the Deep with Animation version but some time ago I read somewhere that when the final build will be released...the price will be higher than what is being offered now and people who has pre-purchased TG2 will have to pay the difference....I really hope, I am wrong....

Dark Fire

I think you're wrong, but it's possible that Planetside will cook up a new feature that costs more. Anyway, none of that matters to me - I'm too poor to afford anything other than that merchandise I keep on mentioning. :D

sjefen

You are wrong. If you read at the Pre-Purchase page (which cyphyr has given you a link to) it says:

When you pre-purchase Terragen 2, you unlock extra capabilities and remove limitations that are in the Technology Preview, Free Non-Commercial edition. You also secure yourself a copy of Terragen 2 "Deep" edition at today's price and are entitled to free updates.

EDIT: The price will be higher than what is being offered now, but that is only for the people that have not pre-purchased Terragen 2.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Cyber-Angel

I too purchased the Deep + Animation Version (The Day it was announced it was available) I wouldn't mind 2008 either as there are still to many "Ghosts in the Machine" to coin a phrase as it where such as TG2 quiting on you when you hook up certain nodes in a particular order by way of an example. What we have now is not even the full product which has added  complexities like Subsurface Scattering and features that may not have been announced at this time.

I would think that bug reports will be filed after the initial commercial release of TG2 for a good while. I look forward to seeing what the likes of 3D World Magazine have to say about TG2 when its released.

I close by saying "Close, but no cigar". End Of Line.

Regards to you

Cyber-Angel             

DeathTwister

/cheers 2 All,
  Well I just got the deep version myself, and from I read, it said that is we buy the pre-Deep animation version that we get the final release at this price.  Now I would figure that the deep version without animation will cost more, but if you have the deep animation version now you get it for what you paid 4 it.
  Otherwise that would be the scame "called bait and switch", and I know PS would never do that to us. Not to mention Illegal, so I am more then sure they won't do it to us and make us pay more after we just bought the full deep version.  So I suggest that you get the full deep version ASAP /winks. And relax, If like they are saying and it is so that if you have the pre-paid version no more money is needed, and it will be more then we are getting it for when released, so I for one am going to enjoy that fact.

Personally, As long as I get more textures soon for my imported models, I can wait till next year before they do the full release hahahahaha.  Faster rendering as well above detail 1 and anti 3 would be nice.

PS: We Have a Monthly TGD2 Challenge going now each Month in Renderosity Contest Area now so go check it out if you have not yet /winks can use the support all you tgd2ers /smiles......It's all the way at the bottom of the Terragen Contest page.

DT
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Oshyan

Rest assured that your pre-purchases entitles you to a free update to the final release of that product - e.g. if you already purchased Deep, you get the final release of Deep free, or if you purchased Deep + Animation you get the final release of that as well. The whole idea of the pre-purchase period is to give people a change to get an early look at the technology in unrestricted form, to help with pre-release testing, to give us some funding in-between product releases, and to give people a price break for having to put up with an unfinished product and as a thanks for helping us refine the product.

As far as the release this year, as I said that is still our plan. Certainly it may slip, and in terms of overall features some may feel that a release this year wouldn't be what they hoped for. But there will always be more to do, more to add, and some feature that a user might feel is "vital" that just doesn't make it in. Ultimately any software developer has to stop the "feature creep" at some point and just work toward a final release. It doesn't mean that more development and more features won't be added later, but development could go on forever without a final release and that's just not good for business.

What we are focused on is having a good, solid final product. It may not have every feature under the sun, but it will be a strong, capable product with the most important features. We will continue to develop Terragen after that release and any features that don't make it in this time can be added later. Terragen 2 will be updated, a 2.5 release may happen, etc. Purchasers of Terragen 2, including pre-purchasers, will be entitled to free updates through to the next major release.

- Oshyan